HybridZ

Fuel Tank - 1973 240z

Hey guys, new here, should have joined up a lot sooner and that's on me, but I need help.

I've been restoring a 240z for the past 3 years and i'm close to getting it up and running. Today I realized that the tank needs to be cleaned, but it has some rust. So worse case scenario i'm looking for a decently prices tank. I saw pro alloy, but it's a bit out of price range at the moment. I also saw Dorman, but they don't seem to sell one that fits the car. So I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Really looking for something that'll fit right in with with all of the fittings in the right places. The vehicle is still carbureted so I do still need the vapor lines.

I have my stock '73 tank out and it has been hot tanked a long while ago as I was going to do custom work cutting and welding on it. It sat foir a long while in storage and had a light layer of rust in it until I bought a bunch of Evaporust and the largest Rubbermade storage container that it would fit in. I plugged all the lines and holes and continuously turned and let it sit for over two weeks, (lot of re-taping effort spent on getting all sides). I got the inside of the tank to shine like new, but instead of coating it with any oil substance I let it dry and was supposed to sell it locally , but the guy flaked out. It now has the thinnest layer of flash rust in it, but another soak of the Evaporust will take it right back off.  I stripped the paint off down to bare metal then primered, then painted an amateur job with quality rattle cans. I also have a new fuel filler neck and sending unit from MSA that I am not using as I will be installing a fuel cell.

P1030617_IRFV.jpg

P1030618_IRFV.jpg

P1030620_IRFV.jpg

P1030628_IRFV.jpg

P1030629_IRFV.jpg

P1030641_IRFV.jpg

P1030642_IRFV.jpg

P1030643_IRFV.jpg

P1030644_IRFV.jpg

P1030645_IRFV.jpg

P1030647_IRFV.jpg

P1030648_IRFV.jpg

P1030572_IRFV.jpg

P1030573_IRFV.jpg

P1030576_IRFV.jpg

P1030584_IRFV.jpg

P1030585_IRFV.jpg

P1030586_IRFV.jpg

P1030588_IRFV.jpg

Edited by Nelsonian

Had never heard of these guys, unfortunately the nearest shops are 3 hours away. Totally willing to make that drive, but wouldn't be possible until summer when work slows down. but will definitely keep them in mind. Eighteen years though, that's impressive. which actually leads me to another question, which deviates from this topic slightly and I do apologize for that, how difficult is it for people to keep these cars up over the years? I only ask because this is my dream car and something i want to keep alive for as long as possible.