HybridZ

Triple Blowthrough Turbo

Dat73z

@Zetsaz np and yeah the suspension was a decision I made like 10yrs back when I built the car for the first time/3 lol. With the options on the market now I'm tempted to get something with a threaded shock body so I can preload the suspension independent of ride height but I also have a few other vehicles so I'm trying not to light too much money on fire with this one. The funny thing is I actually welded up a set of s30 BCs for my buddy not too long ago, the coilovers are pretty nice

20210821_160540.jpg

20210822_110300.jpg

6 hours ago, Dat73z said:

@Zetsaz np and yeah the suspension was a decision I made like 10yrs back when I built the car for the first time/3 lol. With the options on the market now I'm tempted to get something with a threaded shock body so I can preload the suspension independent of ride height but I also have a few other vehicles so I'm trying not to light too much money on fire with this one. The funny thing is I actually welded up a set of s30 BCs for my buddy not too long ago, the coilovers are pretty nice

20210821_160540.jpg

20210822_110300.jpg

Looks about like mind did after sandblasting at @jpndave's place and having his son help me weld haha. 

I remember they just sort of handed me the little blast pot and let me go to town in the "yard" of the new property haha

@Zetsaz it's awesome how many random and interesting people you meet and the stories we get from these cars. Hope we can meet up someday and hang out 👍

Tonight I started back in on this project. I need to organize and clean. After all the travel and funeral stuff to be honest I was pretty down and got heavy into overworking again along with all the other family commitments in life. So I'm going to get back into this, one thing per day until it's done again, starting with cleaning my space. My buddy let me know he ran into some issues with his swap so I won't get my OS Giken clutch tool back until maybe next week. But plenty to do before then. 

20221208_183415.jpg

Just a quick pic of my hot side charge piping in case it moves. There is easily 1/4" clearance between everything now before contact. I'd like to do HD weld-in clamps but I didn't like how they were 1-200$ each so maybe someday if I get serious on this car

20221208_192246.jpg

Still waiting on parts so tonight I got the rear end mostly back together and adjusted the ride height to my preferred spec. 

I noticed that some bearing grease was leaking on the outboard side of the stub axles into my disk brakes. I have never seen this before and I've redone the rear end with new bearings twice on this car. But I was also brake boosting and a bunch of other stress test stuff when I was tuning before the car went down. So I'm going to check the torque on the stub axle nuts this weekend, I believe to 200ftlbs or so. 

20221209_184316.jpg

Edited by Dat73z

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't had much time to work on the build this past week but I decided to purchase a new precision instruments 250ftlb beam style torque wrench to check the rear stub axle torque since I saw grease leaking from the driver's side rear. In the past I'd use my 150ftlb torque wrench and give it a bit more after it clicked off. 

I usually dropped off my old torque wrench to get calibrated locally maybe every year or two. Today I decided to weld up a quick test stand so I could check the calibration in my garage and save some time and money. 

My old 150 torque wrench clicked off around 145ftfbs when set to 150 so it'll need some minor adjustment. For some reason the new made in usa precision instruments beam torque wrench was reading 10-20+ftlbs low at this range and maybe 10-15 ftlbs low at 80. Maybe it got bumped a bit in shipping, I'm not sure but I'll set the calibration a bit later today and get back into the build

20221217_090958.jpg

20221217_093041.jpg

20221217_094300.jpg

This AM I disassembled the DS rear. It looks like the axles are fine with no leaks. I rebuilt them last winter so only a couple K mi boosted on everything. 

The DS inboard side looked fine, some red grease there but I believe that was from assembly. It was definitely leaking on the outboard side into the disk brake and wheel. 

I think what I should do next is disassemble the strut and inspect. Press the stub axle out and all that. I seem to recall the outboard side bearing had a factory seal on it so since I'm already this deep into it I figure it would be good to make sure it didn't pop out or something especially since the PS side is dry and fine. 

20221218_070648.jpg

20221218_071652.jpg

20221218_071721.jpg

So I slapped out the stub axle and as I suspected, the outboard bearing seal has failed, blown outwards. I'm glad I decided not to just check the torque and send it.

This is a new one on me. Did I overpack with grease? Brake boosting/launching causing excessive pressure? Burnouts? If anyone has any ideas let me know. 

I guess I have a week to research while I wait for new bearings/ZX nuts

20221218_074744.jpg

20221218_074922.jpg

20221218_074928.jpg

Things are finally slowing down for the year. I just received a NOS NSK bearing for the rear so I'll dust off my press and get that sorted today. I had considered seeing if I could save the seal and reuse the bearing but decided to just spend the $40. 

Also heard back from my friend that he finally finished his swap and will be mailing my OS Giken clutch tool back so hopefully that comes in before the new year. 

Time is limited this next week as I got another car back up recently and am dealing with the registration and all of that but I'm coming back around to the s30 here and there. 

20221223_064747.jpg

Merry Christmas! 

Today my OSG clutch tool made it back from my buddy. So when the holidays simmer down I'm wrap up the trans pull and redo all the clutch pack and flywheel fasteners. This is to ensure the vibrations from the harmonic balancer walking off didn't loosen anything. 

20221224_191901.jpg

20221224_191901.jpg

Just a light update, I've been working on the car this past couple of days and am considering tearing it back down to a shell again for a full repaint. It's something that has been bothering me since the past decade of owning and building this s30. 

This car is a high mileage survivor but mostly rust free. I am capable of doing any metal/body/paintwork but due to my current life situation I'd need to either pay someone to paint the car or rent a booth and paint it myself. 

I think the strategy here is to get the car one the road again in a couple of weeks then start metal/paintworking the body. Mainly with kids on the horizon this is one project I just want to get "done" as I know it won't as there are just too many vehicle and other projects I've been wrapping up along with this one. 

Today I finished reassembling and retorquing both axles. I pulled out what I considered excess grease and used new ZX locknuts. I also recalibrated my new precision instruments wrench to click off around 195 or so at 200 indicated. I guess you can't even trust new US made out of the box tools anymore. 

This weekend I'll finish pulling the trans and get that sorted, a week or two ago I ordered new OE thin flywheel bolts which have yet to show up. I had considered arp flywheel hardware, but I didn't want to get into machining bolts etc. like I did with the crank pulley. 

This next few weeks I need to start ordering some bodywork supplies as well and figure out how to keep all the grinding dust out of my house. 

20221230_082209.jpg

20221230_082229.jpg

20221230_114144.jpg

Finally getting back into the build after the holidays. It's been a really rainy and cold winter so far this year and due to other projects I haven't really been motivated to finish the s30. This evening I somewhat organized the area and am going to start back in on the trans pull now. It seems my flywheel bolts won't be shipped until 01/06 so I'll have some time to work on other deferred items as well. 

20230101_173449.jpg

Finished the transmission pull tonight and everything looks good so far. I'll take my time and paint mark everything on disassembly, as to ensure I reassemble the clutch pack and multi-plates in the same order and direction it is currently in. The tiny oil weep I noticed before is more visible now as well so I'll investigate and see if I can fix it while I'm in there. 

20230101_184906.jpg

20230101_184945.jpg

20230101_185057.jpg

This AM I started back in on the driveline disassembly. I noticed that maybe my trans mount has been making contact with the trans xmember. The zinc coating on the nuts isn't worn through, but the xmember has some marks which is interesting. Maybe it is minor enough with the good condition OE trans mount that it self clearanced, but because the power and trq levels with the turbo and stroker are much higher than stock, maybe it may get worse over time and should be addressed now. 

I'll investigate further once I get the clutch pack off. 

20230102_055203.jpg

20230102_055214.jpg

Got the clutch pack off without difficulty. All of the bolts were still tight which is good, and the wear looks normal to me for a few k street miles with some launches and burnouts but I've only ran an exedy multi plate on another mostly track focused car before this. 

One interesting finding is it almost looks like my RMS has been leaking and not the pan gasket as I thought. I didn't install the RMS so I guess I'll look real close and clean the whole area off to see. On past Ls I've always just installed the OE Nissan RMS and never had any issues so I may give that a try since I'm this deep into it and at this point the driveline teardown is for peace of mind and to fix that pesky oil leak I guess. 

Later today I plan to tear down further but need to get the holiday lights down before another storm rolls in this AM

20230102_061601.jpg

20230102_062000.jpg

20230102_062229.jpg

20230102_062820.jpg

20230102_062857.jpg

Edited by Dat73z

I would replace that stock transmission mount with a solid poly mount.  The mount I'm using is from some sort of Jeep...I believe.  I've slept a few times since then :D.

All I had to do was slot the two mounting holes to make it fit the transmission (z32).

I wouldn't sweat those marks on the clutch and PP.

Yeah @rossman, a poly mount would be more ideal. Do you recall which Jeep mount you used?

Thinking about this more, I think I have some steel tube stock and remnants of a few ES master poly bushing kits for various cars in my shed. I may consider just fabricating something since that would basically cost me nothing.