HybridZ

LED "Fog" lights?

I want to add a pair of LED lights to the front of my 1970 240Z to help with night driving. I've removed the front bumper so I'd attach them to this custom mesh grill I fabricated and attached on top of the stock grill to protect my radiator and front oil cooler from debris. I track the car so in a perfect world, the lights would also have optional plastic covers avail.  I had this set-up with my 914 years ago and it worked great.  Looking for a pair that will throw the most light without drawing too much from my 60 amp alternator.  Suggestions?  Thanks!

You might consider just really upgrading the headlights, I am using these and I think there are other places selling them cheaper but get it with the factory relay so all 5 elements can be on at high beam setting; these will be so bright I think there is no need for a fog light INMO

https://headlightrevolution.com/vision-x-pair-of-7-round-vortex-led-headlights-chrome/

14 hours ago, jhm said:

Good headlights are not cheap.  I've been looking at the Truck-lite LED units for a while.  They seem to be one of the most affordable options of high-quality lighting, IMHO.

I agree.  I'll check those out.  Thanks.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:40 PM, Sandy455 said:

I agree.  I'll check those out.  Thanks.

I researched the truck & off road headlights and the Vision X to me was the best and was rated the best in many sites.  Fortunately our 7" round is used on Jeep's, 911's, and many other cars.  Definitely get them with their optional relay so all five elements will go on when on high beam mode.  Also make sure you are looking at current models as there are some older Vision X, they are all good but the more current ones provide incredible light output.

Those Vision X pieces look nice, but too rich for my blood right now.  For the time being, I've converted to Hella housings with the best H4 bulbs I could find (and obviously, fed directly off the alternator).  Worlds better than the crappy old sealed beams.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello there, I believe your blog might be having internet browser compatibility problems. Whenever I take a look at your web site in Safari, it looks fine but when opening in IE, it has some overlapping issues. I just wanted to provide you with a quick heads up! Other than that, great site!
wuxiaworld

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, bens1088 said:

Reviving an old thread but we just released these: https://www.dapperlighting.com/products/oe7

Nice job! These look like a great alternative for those of us searching for a stockish look. It would be helpful to know the dimensions front to back so we can determine if they will fit in our headlight buckets without modification.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  One thing I didn't mention above is that due to the fact I track my car regularly, I have installed plastic headlight covers to help my aero and prevent flying debris from taking out my headlights at over 100 mph.  To that end, new high tech headlights would still need to beam through these scratched covers which also fog up a bit during the winter.  So I'm really only concentrating on adding fog lights  with protective plastic covers.

4 hours ago, Sandy455 said:

Thanks for all the suggestions.  One thing I didn't mention above is that due to the fact I track my car regularly, I have installed plastic headlight covers to help my aero and prevent flying debris from taking out my headlights at over 100 mph.  To that end, new high tech headlights would still need to beam through these scratched covers which also fog up a bit during the winter.  So I'm really only concentrating on adding fog lights  with protective plastic covers.

I put these on my Z, they're not LED yet but I've been looking for an LED replacement bulb that will fit. 

http://www.piaa.com/store/p/71-2100XT-Fog-XTreme-White-Plus-Halogen.aspx

IMG_6158.jpg

21 hours ago, D9inger said:

I put these on my Z, they're not LED yet but I've been looking for an LED replacement bulb that will fit. 

http://www.piaa.com/store/p/71-2100XT-Fog-XTreme-White-Plus-Halogen.aspx

IMG_6158.jpg

Very nice.  Did you install an on/off dash switch to turn them on?  Or do they go on when your headlights go on?

I bought a used rear defogger switch off eBay to control the relay that came with the lights and put it in the spot that looks like where power window switches would go to the right of the hazard switch in the center console. They can come on with just the parking lights and stay on with high and low beam. Green LED is off, red is on.

Amazon has the light kit for ~$200 so don't order from PIAA.

I saw somewhere online that Datsun made a foglight switch for the S30 but I never could find one for sale.

The lights get very hot when they're on, they are metal and glass so nothing gets damaged except your hands when aiming them. I'd really like to find an LED replacement bulb that would fit.

IMG_7801.JPG

Edited by D9inger