HybridZ

Gpop shop rebuild result

AlbatrossCafe

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know how my Gpop shop turbo rebuild went in case anyone was looking at going to them: http://gpopshop.com/

Before: 1982 L28ET Garret AiResearch stock T3 turbo

After: Upgraded into T3/T4 hybrid with T4 .50 trim compressor wheel and Stage III exhaust turbine. All moving components rebuilt/replaced if applicable.

Review: So far, I am very satisfied with their work. When they said "we will make your turbo like new" I was skeptical. They took my 35 year old turbo and genuinely made it better than it was when it was new back in 1982. Externally, it looks great. I decided to have Gpop upgrade my stock turbo because I didn't want to deal with fabbing up external wastegates or put in spacers to get something aftermarket to fit. The cost (~$900 btw) was comparable to buying a new Garrett hybrid and in the end I get something that I know will bolt right in AND has a warranty to boot. Also, their customer service was awesome.

I say "Externally, it looks great" cus I haven't finished putting together my engine yet 🙃 I'll update the review with actual performance "soon"!

T7d5Qji.jpg

8UmwS56.jpg

67vSFPt.jpg

GzOPoMz.jpg

Before you go too far. Get that exhasut manifold off and send it out for Ceramic coating on the exterior. Well worth it. Ceramic coating the Turbine housing when it was at GPop would have been a good idea. But a Good Turbo balnket should suffice. Ceramic coating on downpipe is nice as well.

Don't know whose car this is... but VERY well thought out heat management. the custom SS heat shield between Intake and exhaust manifolds is Ceramic blanket insulted on bottom side. Gold reflective foil would work as well. Note even the TIP is insulted. 

Engine-Left-Side.jpg

10 hours ago, Chickenman said:

Before you go too far. Get that exhasut manifold off and send it out for Ceramic coating on the exterior. Well worth it. Ceramic coating the Turbine housing when it was at GPop would have been a good idea. But a Good Turbo balnket should suffice. Ceramic coating on downpipe is nice as well.

I'm not looking for 400hp performance. Looking for a modest ~280hp or so. Seems like coating the ex. manifold would be overkill? A blanket is easy enough, I can add that to the turbo

Edited by AlbatrossCafe

On 11/19/2018 at 8:53 AM, AlbatrossCafe said:

I'm not looking for 400hp performance. Looking for a modest ~280hp or so. Seems like coating the ex. manifold would be overkill? A blanket is easy enough, I can add that to the turbo

Ceramic coatings, heat shields and Turbo blankets are not just for performance. Their main function is to decrease the HUGE heat soak problems that the Turbo L-series suffer from. Performance increases are secondary, but nice. 

Having the Turbo and exhaust manifolds directly under the Intake manifolds is just not ideal at all.  Even on a mild build,  you will have issues if you do not pay careful attention to heat management.  Exhaust manifold and Turbo temps vary little between a 250hp engine and a 400HP engine. Overall heat is very similar. 

Edited by Chickenman

On 11/20/2018 at 3:09 PM, Chickenman said:

Ceramic coatings, heat shields and Turbo blankets are not just for performance. Their main function is to decrease the HUGE heat soak problems that the Turbo L-series suffer from. Performance increases are secondary, but nice. 

Having the Turbo and exhaust manifolds directly under the Intake manifolds is just not ideal at all.  Even on a mild build,  you will have issues if you do not pay careful attention to heat management.  Exhaust manifold and Turbo temps vary little between a 250hp engine and a 400HP engine. Overall heat is very similar. 

So don't think I can pony up for ceramic coatings, but I used heat wrap on the downpipe and ex. manifold and added a blanket to the turbo.

Now I am reading that using wrap on exhaust manifolds is a bad idea... :(  Something about it causing the steel to become hotter than it would if it just vented normally and causing it to crack. What do you think ? Is a heat wrap not recommended? How come the stock engine did not use it if it was so necessary?

Edited by AlbatrossCafe