HybridZ

Z32 manual transmission reverse issues

Kunta0908

So I have nearly completed my LS swap. Was having an issue where I could barely shift into each gear. Turns out my shifter linkage was tightened down a bit hard on the shifter. Loosening up the bolt a half turn free'd everything up and it now shifts easily into every gear. 

Decided to take the car out around the block to ensure everything was legit before towing it to the exhaust shop to build the midpipes off of my open headers. 

Found out that even though it smoothly shifts into every gear, Reverse was nowhere to be found. Not that I couldn't go to 5th and pull down to engage where R should be. But when in the R location on the shift pattern, the car would still want to go forward. Every gear turned the driveshaft the same way, no location would spin it the other way, signalling reverse. 

I do not have the wiring for the reverse lights hooked up yet, so I couldn't actually verify that it was absolutely, 100%, in R. But it certainly did feel like I was hitting the correct gear, as 4th was very smooth going into, and when I went 5th to R, it had a slightly more solid feel to the pull down than 4th did. 

I have done what research I could, and found some solutions involving a broken reverse detent. So I lowered the transmission a bit and pulled it out. Everything looked like it was in good working order. 

The only thing I do recall, is that when the transmission was purchased off of Craigslist, the owner had been in the middle of a swap, and the inspection cover on the top had been messed with, only being held on by a few screws. I did remove it completely at one point and the spring held down by it came out. I replaced the spring, but I do not recall a checkball coming out or needing to go back in. 

Is there a possibility that there is no check ball under that spring and that could be the cause of my reverse issues?? Really struggling to understand why my reverse is trying to drive the car forward...

Thanks!

I doubt the spring and ball would do that. Thinking there is something off inside ie synchro, or linkage issues. Whats strange is can shift in into the 2n and 4th rear gears so maybe its not a external linkage issue. Could it be wrong reverse switch maybe too long not allowing it to get in? I am just thinking out loud here with you buts thats where my thought process would be.