HybridZ

Microtech efi lock timing and static rb26

Johnny83

When you lock the timing, choose a value that will let the engine idle smoothly and has a mark on the pulley. The RB has marks every 5 degrees. My RB26 liked 20 degrees to make a smooth idle. Sometimes you have to turn the idle up to get it smooth. While the timing is locked, just line up the mark on the pulley that corresponds with the value you selected, not 0. The whole idea is making the timing light correspond to the ecu timing value. 

Yes. The timing light should always match the output of the ECU. Locking the timing allows it to be at a value that doesn't change and is what you can see on the pulley. Lock it at 20 and ensure the light from spark plug #1 is on 20. Just dont forget to unlock it when you are finished. I have driven my car for a few days on 15 degrees static. Could be dangerous, mostly just lacks power. 

• 3 months later...

the static timing value should match the indication on the pulley. If you set static at 20 degrees, the timing light should indicate at the 20 degree value on the pulley. Its the 5th mark according to the picture I have attached. My 0 degree is painted red and the rest are white.

RB26 Ignition Timing.JPG

• 1 month later...