HybridZ

Early 74 260 bumper conversion for 77 280

I have a set of early 260 bumpers that are in pretty good shape; I have removed my stock 1977 280’s some time ago.  Does a direct-fit early 260 to late 280 conversion bracket exist? Any trusted Z sources that would fabricate?  Looking for brackets that will bolt up to stock mounts on 260 bumper and will attach to 280 body at the single threaded body mounts.  All the conversions I have found take 240 bumpers to a 280 w/“some modification/fabrication/bend or weld”.  I believe the early 74 260 bumpers were moved outward from the body compared to 240’s so wouldn’t this require a (longer) bracket just for the 260? If so, has anyone used-does anyone know of using- a 260 bracket and mounting it to a late 280?  Would it match up to a 280’s body without drilling new body mounting”holes”?  I am at a stop sign and need help🙏   Anyone do this....or know how, who or where??  Thanks!!!

The early 260Z has the same bumper pistons that the 280's used.  So, even though the early 260Z bumpers look similar to 240Z bumpers, they are not.  Even though I believe these bumpers will mount on the 280Z pistons, I doubt that the side mounts will be similar.  The early 260Z has the bumper depression (or recess) in the quarter panel like the 240Z - the 280Z of course does not.

Because the early 260Z pushed the front bumper forward and put it on pistons for US crash standards, it also had "fillers" between the bumper and the body (and grill) that the 240Z did not.  Mounted on the piston, the 260Z bumper sits probably 2 1/2" to 3" farther forward than the 240Z bumper did.  Personally, I didn't like the early 260Z bumpers - even though they are more 240-ish.  I removed the all pistons and put 240Z bumpers on my early 260 so they would fit tighter to the body. 

• 3 weeks later...

I did the same, although mine was a 75 280. I took the shocks off and used a new 71 bumper and brackets, drilled i think one hole for each, but i changed the grill out to the early style at the same time - That requires welding the tab from the early car to the inner headlight area, but the later grill doesnt look great (to me) .