HybridZ

Ignition Control Options

theczechone

Sorry for late answers. I did not receive notifications....

To answer questions:

TPS was easier to setup . With Map I would have been afraid to have pulses issue without tapping all runners together for proper signal. MAP would indeed provide a better resolution and better control but it is not so much required afterall.

The mount. I designed it on CAD software and I've asked a machinist I was working with to make itfor me. So he did with CNC machine. If you're interested, CAD file should be available somewhere. If it is not, I can share ;)

Hey guys where are we at on this black box? If there's a compatibility issue with the OE distributor and it's compatible with Pertronix; wouldn't it be easy and inexpensive to just drop one of their systems in the stock distributor? Pertronix Ignitor 1 and 2 have a solid reputation and their use has been well documented in the Datsun/Nissan  community. I would be seriously interested in a modern and adjustable ignition setup that looks totally stock and cost under $300 all in. Also on the topic of distributor spark break-up, I had a 4th gen prelude si throughout high school and college which is a distributor type ignition and that thing screamed on the top end. Take it for what it's worth. Thanks guys. Good find. 

On 1/17/2019 at 5:52 AM, Ironfoot said:

Hey guys where are we at on this black box? If there's a compatibility issue with the OE distributor and it's compatible with Pertronix; wouldn't it be easy and inexpensive to just drop one of their systems in the stock distributor? Pertronix Ignitor 1 and 2 have a solid reputation and their use has been well documented in the Datsun/Nissan  community. I would be seriously interested in a modern and adjustable ignition setup that looks totally stock and cost under $300 all in. Also on the topic of distributor spark break-up, I had a 4th gen prelude si throughout high school and college which is a distributor type ignition and that thing screamed on the top end. Take it for what it's worth. Thanks guys. Good find. 

I had no more responses from the vendor. I was thinking about using an optical pick up in the distributor too. Perhaps someone will just need to bite the bullet and give it a shot. I am still building my engine so i'm not ready.

Electronic ignition is not about getting proper timing at max rpm, it is also how you control timing that matters. Any good "old style" dizzy can do that.

But can you easily get 16° of advance at idle, 36° at high load/high rpm and 50° at low load/medium rpm?  You can only achieve this with an ECU and good sensors. People say you cannot run Triples with vaccum advance, it is a shame because we're loosing driveability big time without it.

Read document attached to convince/educate yourself if you'd like, it is full of good info.

Pertronix or other systems going into stock dizzy without any kind of adjustments are a good upgrade over stock but nothing compared to full timing control.

Weber-dcoe-fuel-economy-study.pdf

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

You can buy a Bluetooth dizzy from 123ignition and run an app called 123/Tune+ that lets you set advance curves and vacuum advance.  You can tune advance +/- “on the fly” and also has gauges on your phone showing:

accurate rpm,  advance, vacuum map, voltage, gps based mph and dizzy (so engine compartment ) temp.  You can set a max rpm, which is random spark cyl suppress enforced.

It can also do an ‘immobilize’ with pin code. I previously used a ‘kill switch’ with my stock dizzy for this 

A nice bit of kit for the L6 engine. My 240z (2.6L, N42 rebuilt head, SUs, header, NA) runs better than it used to. 

5135A4EF-19A7-4DED-BBF3-3FDED5D49A60.png

20406CF8-AEF6-4CA4-AB2F-81115A269982.png

Edited by Firepower
Added picture

It sounds all nice and good but the dwell is automatic and this prevents it to be powerfull. it has a week sparc. OK for stock engines but not good enough for modified. I had to ad a crane multispark with a stronger coil. Crazy expensive in the end but now it works.

You can run a more powerful ignition module, like the Crane, with the programmable 123 distributor.  Programmable high power ignition when you combine them.  You could run an external $25 GM HEI module with the 123, I think.

33 minutes ago, munters said:

the dwell is automatic and this prevents it to be powerfull. 

Actually, "automatic" dwell is designed to be the most powerful.  Automatic dwell is actually current control.  The module still has to be able to handle the high current though, and 123 seems to specify high resistance coils. 

17 minutes ago, munters said:

With the 123 distributor I have the timing and with the crane box and crane low resistance coil the power.

That would be a good setup.  I didn't realize that you already had the 123 Ignition in your first post.  That's the way to do it, I think. 

123 could expand their market if they made it more of a "high energy" system.