HybridZ

700r4 drive shaft alignment (left to right)

HICKL

So after about 15 years of shifting gears with my T5, my knees and my brain got tired of it so I converted over to a 700r4.  Well actually a 4l60e but that is probably besides the point for my question.  Its all together and working fine, but I am un-happy with my driveshaft angles.  I know of countless ways I can adjust for my up and down to get the proper alignment, but I am all the way to the passenger side with my transmission to the point that I am hitting the tunnel, and looking from underneath, I need to move further in that direction to get a straight line from the diff to the rear of trans.  My cross member is slotted so I can move it, but I am hitting the tunnel before I get to where I think I need to be.

Is this common to have to "adjust" the tunnel quite a bit for this trans or am I missing something stupid..

And yes, I did a fair amount of searching and did not find the answer, but that does not mean its not there... I just didnt find it..

Oh, just realized my signature no longer has what it used to have so..  1976 280z, SBC stroker motor.  

Thanks

Jeff

Edited by HICKL
left off info

37 minutes ago, HICKL said:

I need to move further in that direction to get a straight line from the diff to the rear of trans. 

Not sure what you mean by "straight line".  What you're trying to do is to get the crankshaft parallel with the pinion shaft of the diff.  They can be offset but have to be parallel.  So when you're done the transmission could be pointing to either side or above or below the diff, but as long they're both parallel you'll be okay.  Another way to define it is that both joints must have the same angle.

Maybe you know it already but here's a good link. The angles are up, down, and sideways.  https://www.drivelinesnw.com/part-trouble-shooting/vibration-analysis/angle-analysis/

Hey Zed, yes I feel like I have a good understanding of the parallel but not straight line. I normally shoot for 3 degrees . My issue is that I like to get the left to right alignment straight, then use my "up and down" to get the desired offset. The math gets deep when dealing with offsets up and down and side to side. At least for me anyway. 

Which installation kit did you use?  JTR, MSA,  John's Cars etc.

JTR recommends making a dent in the tunnel on the passenger side to make room for the 700r4 trans.

If I recall  correctly  from the JTR manual, the JTR engine mounts offset the engine to the passenger side.

Edited by Miles

So many questions I should have answered up front. My bad.

JTR mounts so yes, offset to passenger side. R200 diff but using the Ron Tyler mount. I have the 2002 edition of the jtr manual and dont recall it mentioning denting the tunnel, but it may... or that may have been in a later release. 

Some of the information in the JTR manual is a bit scattered in other sections.

From my my Seventh Edition JTR manual:

Installation page 8-2

"If you are using an automatic transmission, check for adequate clearance around the transmission.  Also, make sure there is room to route the exhaust around the transmission.  If there is going to be a problem, hammer the transmission tunnel to gain clearance."

I read this 17 years ago when I was deciding to go T5 or 700r4 in my son's 240Z. We went T5. Can't believe I remembered this.

Cool, it sounds like we were building these cars at about the same time.. 

Well I guess that answers my question as I expected, just going to have to "create" some clearance. 

Am mad at myself because when I did my mockup with the new trans, I put it in but just raised the tail section with a jack and thought I was up as high as it needed to go and my alignment was fine.  I took it back out and finished up some other things and then when I put it back in (all the way in), I realized the issue.

Thanks guys.  I know what I gotta do!

Yeah.....the only way I'm aware for that is to use lengths of PVC pipe off the trans and the diff (pipe needs to be stiff enough to prevent bending or drooping under its own weight).  Take measurements and calculate the side-to-side angle with geometry.  As you already noted, that angle needs to be combined with the vertical angle to derive your compound angle.  Good article here on that topic:  http://www.ocdriveshaft.com/ShaftFacts/DrivelineVibration.aspx

Search the drivetrain section for laser alignment tools developed by some Hybridz members. They consist of laser pointers modified with magnetic bases that are placed on the trans output shaft and the differential input shaft. Using two of them would give information about vertical and horizontal alignment of the driveshaft.  search terms like "laser driveshaft" or "laser phasing" etc.

Edited by Miles

• 8 months later...