HybridZ
Sign in to follow this  
bstallion

'75 280z 350sbc

I have an rx7 I'm rebuilding, formally an LS6 swapped car I may be going 2jz with. I know it would be a long time before I'll be driving my FD and wanted something to drive for now while I take my time building the rx7 so I starting looking into something else. After a few hours of searching I found a 1975 280z for sale on CL and moved forward into making a deal for it. It was described as perfect running and driving with only needing minor interior work and new brake pads. This will be picture heavy and a little bit may be out of order.

The rx7

7BQmbgC.jpg

These were the images posted in the ad.

WdZVlXK.jpg

BbK4QyF.jpg

NuB7jFI.jpg

3AhthxS.jpg

1Q1nkrq.jpg

gzpcF4Z.jpg

Went check it out, it had no major rust visible so that was a bonus. It ran and drove under its own power so I loaded it up and took it home.

img%5D

img%5D

Got it home and starting looking over everything more thoroughly.

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

Gave it a wash for the first time. Also removed those lights and spoiler.

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img

Under the carpet most of the wiring was spliced, wire nutted, and taped together. After a little scraping on what looked like surface rust I found a few bad rust spots. The brake pads were fine, the calipers were seized. I ordered some new ones and replaced, maybe later I'll upgrade them and do a five lug swap. This car needed a lot more work than what was lead on to believe.

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

Moved the car under my carport to work on it out of the sun, need to strip the interior and some exterior to plan for POR-15 and Lizard Skin. For S&Gs i put an FD Seat in to get an idea of what it would look like.

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

Most of the interior has been removed. During the first few days i made a list and big order for replacement parts, most of it has arrived and stored until the car is ready for them.

img%5D

img%5D

After a few weeks of stripping the factory sound deadener, paint, and rust the interior was ready to be prepped for POR-15. I put an FD roll bar inside just for the fun of it, no plans on using it in this car.

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

I did order a roll bar made for the S30 but not sure if I'll use it or go with something else. Pulled the car out of the car port to give me some room to move about while applying the POR-15. I got new bumpers in so went ahead and removed the factory ones.

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img]

img%5D

img%5D

To make working in the sun bearable and to provide the cars with a little protection from the weather I ordered a canopy. With the wife's help I had it assembled and set into place within a few hours and was happy with the result. Will make working a lot easier during hot or rainy days, and I can reinforce it in the future to make it a more permanent set up.

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

There were a few small rust spots, I didn't see the need to cut a whole floor pan to weld in new pieces. I used fiberglass and resin for the repairs, it was only in 3 places. After the rust repair I used metal prep on the bare metal to get it ready for POR-15, this was my first time using it, I'm sure it won't be the last.

nGPqLpn.jpg

5FTDCkP.jpg

6IQenaL.jpg

uLPlhvL.jpg

LC6sCYQ.jpg

I applied two coats with a brush 6 hours apart. I think it came out good.

l1FsEbu.jpg

9afhkoU.jpg

YYxwHcS.jpg

After giving the POR-15 a few days to dry I went right into masking and filling threads with tape before spraying the Lizard Skin, also my first time using Lizard Skin. I have another kit to use in my FD for later, I used Fat Mat originally for that car but will remove it for Lizard Skin.

LR4WKsH.jpg

LC3nCZW.jpg

cro3fQu.jpg

NzpuNAu.jpg

W2pa85k.jpg

pyINb2S.jpg

DsRe2D6.jpg

K7z2opJ.jpg

I went with the sound deadener and ceramic coat kit, 2 coats of each. Pictures are between coats and cured of each. POR-15 and Lizard Skin are probably overkill.

2HGMCdR.jpg

HwxHhse.jpg

DK2Vk3x.jpg

Uh36WI9.jpg

OavoZuN.jpg

s2Fnwb4.jpg

4pZjHkZ.jpg

liaBD6v.jpg

j7Jopte.jpg

BJI0kHz.jpg

MfELfK7.jpg

DUAUbDG.jpg

4u9Zq5o.jpg

C1SJHDw.jpg

szy8uNS.jpg

Next thing to focus on is Wiring, being that the majority of the cars wiring was loose wires with wire nuts i removed everything and decided on a 21 Circuit E-Z Wiring Harness. The Harness using factory connectors but I didn't have much to go off of so order 3 prong and 2 prong connectors and some assorted grommets.

jdwx1Nb.jpg

gzoqZ9q.jpg

aR1gdvR.jpg

JFEJsav.jpg

Ig6on9Y.jpg

23V1vVD.jpg

Z3oUnR6.jpg

Lpx4wTU.jpg

31EUxTV.jpg

Got a new Air Dam in, still need to mount it. Decided on using Riv-Nuts to mount the 3 Piece Spoiler. Z battery tie down will be used, the battery was just sitting in place. Got some Z coasters just because.

9SfxVle.jpg

ze1dwhX.jpg

gj2sc8X.jpg

CoQ12sN.jpg

N35XRKc.jpg

The interior is mocked up temporarily so I get see where and how to route the wiring. I'm doing a lot for the first time on this car. The FD Seats fit good, almost a direct swap. I'm waiting on SpeedHut Gauges to come in to finish wiring up the dash.

xszrj1S.jpg

qoSWECl.jpg

RWeuDUf.jpg

kvwHwHY.jpg

B7ogyZB.jpg

The only thing keeping the car from driving is to finish the wiring and install the fuel tank, i took it off to clean it.

Current build list:

Engine/Trans:

JTR Swap Kit

350 SBC

Holley Street Avengers Carburetor

Summit Racing 3 Row Radiator

New Battery/Tray/Cables/Connectors

Ceramic Headers (Need to Install)

TH350 Transmission

B&M Shifter

Interior:

Motorsport Auto Carpet

Motorsport Auto Floor Mats

RX7 FD Suede Seats

NRG Hub and Steering Wheel

EZ Wiring Harness

POR-15/ Lizard Skin

Zstore Vinyl Kit

Half Roll Bar

Exterior:

Side Skirts

Rear Louver

Honda Accord Wiper Motor

3 Piece Rear Spoiler

240z Front Bumper

240z Rear Bumper

Xenon 3125 Air Dam

Brakes:

Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors

New Calipers/New Pads

Edited by bstallion
Images failed to upload

The ball valve might not last long with gasoline flowing through it instead of water.  Wire nuts are always bad.  Weird that somebody would remove fenders to put louvers in that spot.  Looks like a Baja rig, but with potential.  Can't tell if your pictures are before you got it or after.  Good luck.  Edit - not trying to be negative.  But you have a curiosity there.

Edited by NewZed

On 12/15/2018 at 5:57 PM, jhm said:

Nice progress!  Looks like you're really making quick work of it.  Keep the updates, and pictures, coming!

Thank you, I hope to get far with it soon.

On 12/15/2018 at 6:51 PM, NewZed said:

The ball valve might not last long with gasoline flowing through it instead of water.  Wire nuts are always bad.  Weird that somebody would remove fenders to put louvers in that spot.  Looks like a Baja rig, but with potential.  Can't tell if your pictures are before you got it or after.  Good luck.  Edit - not trying to be negative.  But you have a curiosity there.

I don't know why a lot of things were done the way they were, I'll continue to correct what I can.

Been bouncing on and off between this and the rx7.

I did some moving around and cleaned it and the rx7 up a little. I also need a nice warm day to take the carpet and vinyl out to sit in the sun to fit right. The new interior went straight from the boxes to the install. Then I have the bumpers and front air dam to put on to complete the exterior. I'm thinking once its done I may list it to fund the rx7 once and for all, or at least trade it for a running one to be driving an FD again a little sooner, no telling.
5gnCpay.jpg

3oEFs3Q.jpg

IFAULRh.jpg

rj595vq.jpg

auOg2hN.jpg

Got a Lizard Skin hat since I used there product for my car.

ux9wdae.jpg

Received my Speed Hut gauges and brackets after a few weeks of ordering.

qyTywlf.jpg

I let the vinyl and rx7 carpet sit out in the sun to make them easier to work with. Haven't had a sunny day in weeks.

wcZLjK3.jpg

Roll bar is powder coated black

fjvSzMD.jpg

Got some JLs for a little extra bump in the hatch

mIuXWdZ.jpg

Took all the interior parts out of storage to clean and have ready for when they go back in.

plHoxra.jpg

Designed a Logo and printed it from my Cricut
jSD1M6M.jpg

E3urFS1.jpg

That's where I leave it for now, I'll get working on the wiring again next week.
W7Csk83.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WZYIxMJ1pU&t=2s

I was supposed to get the fuel hoses done, I ordered 5/8" and was sent 1/4" so I'm put off another week from finishing my fuel system. Still have plenty to do so next on the plan was to get the wiring done. This week I was able to get the rear section done. This is the first time I ever rewire a car and I think I'm doing pretty good from the condition the wiring was in before. I reused the old connectors with new terminals where I could instead of splicing new wires with old wires. It doesn't seem like a lot but it took a lot of time to research and plan what wires from the EZ harness goes into factory locations. Next week I'll have the front finished then may need help from a buddy to do the ignition and dash. 

I'm just saying, if I ever get rid of this car the next person will get a deal, the interior has been stripped, POR-15'd and Lizard Skin'd, new wiring and new interior ready to go in. And that's just a start.

Htnuabl.jpg?1
r42xn30.jpg?1
BOMVE44.jpg?1
Snkcv5E.jpg
x6JzcUd.jpg

Video below, Subscribe if you don't mind. I'm working at getting better at making them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQTnTDAq1U8&t=9s

Edited by bstallion
Images
  • Like 1