HybridZ

Help with brakes needed

Max_S

Exactly that.
Any approval, and also the decision if an approval is revoked or not (you have to revisit the TÜV every 2 years) is subjective to the engineers.
With me planning on putting out more than 20% power more than the car made stock, I might have to hand off the keys for a driving test, where the engineer (or sometimes two) decide if the rest of the car (chassis, suspension, brakes, wheels, steering) is up to the increased power.

18 minutes ago, NewZed said:

Good thing they don't look at the wheel and suspension parts

Actually...they do.
Like, even more closely than at the brakes.
Most foreign wheels are off limits due to missing certificates, but I found a company around 600km away (around 370 miles) who claim (and already have) managed to get TE37 and also Minilites approved, two wheels which are at the top of my list as of right now (re-drilling perfectly legal wheels makes them 100% illegal, since the structural integrity is seen as being compromised).
As for suspension, I might save up for and invest in KW Clubsport, since they offer those custom-made and matched to the car, with all documentation needed to get approval.
And KW is a known and trusted brand.

18 minutes ago, NewZed said:

Good luck

Thanks 😃

14 minutes ago, Miles said:

Have you contacted Wilwood to see if they could add the dust seals (gaskets)  to  one of their calipers?

Wilwood now offers a rear caliper with integrated parking brake.

I doubt that Wilwood will change an off-the-shelf product for one set for one customer.
But I will certainly look into that (not the only custom-parts needed for the project, so why stop there).
If I go with their brand, I'll probably do what that other guy on the German forum did, and put in the matching seals from an AP-Brakes system.

A parking brake of some sort HAS to be on the car, not just for practical reason but also because it actually is a defined law, not some rule made up by the TÜV.
A mechanical-one is by far preferred, since I've so far heard of only one guy getting a hydraulic one approved, only to loose approval over safety-concerns after 3 months (police checkpoint, and they spotted the big vertical lever).

The brakes are pretty much the last big unknown point, the rest of the components are worked out and decided.
I hope to find a TÜV-engineer who goes "yeah....it could work" (did I mention that engineers get swapped out regularly, so one guy telling you it will work is worth very little?) at some point in early summer 2019, and if everything else in life works out as planned (as if it ever does) I might get to start seriously looking for parts and a car to import (there's like 200 in Germany, and they're crazy expensive for ripping apart) in late summer/fall.
I definitely have to do it in that order, the TÜV is famously (and increasingly) hostile towards any tuning beyond lowering springs and a wrap (and even there's restrictions), so just one day turning up at the TÜV-station with a modified car is a sure way to get to walk home/find a tow truck.
It's well known (and kinda sad) that you can drive a pretty worn out/damaged car, and get through TÜV (or at least a police checkpoint), but if it draws attention for any reason you're in for a really bad time, even if everything is perfectly up to requirements, just because it MIGHT not be perfectly legal.
And finding out if everything is legal takes time (with you without a car) and is expensive (at your expense).

Max

Edited by Max_S

On 12/30/2018 at 6:27 PM, Max_S said:

Currently I'm looking into modifying Wilwoods as well, or using the Toyota 4x4 (front)/ZX (rear) version (although, further up, I've heard from @grannyknotthat it's a bad combination :().

Max, I did not say it is a bad combination, I said they work okay.  None of the popular low dollar brake swaps are balanced as well as the stock brakes but that doesn't mean they are bad combinations, just not as good as they could be. Because so many of us are, how shall I say.. thrifty.. with our spending is why the junk yard brake swaps are so popular.

I recommened  either stock or Wilwood,  neither of those seem like a posibility  for you  so it looks like you will have to go with one of the combos.

What's the old saying, You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.  Good brakes aren't cheap.

I’ll certainly keep an eye on that combination, I just want it to be a project with no cut corners, if I can get it approved.

From the choices I have, the Toyota/ZX-combo is the “easy button”.

Wilwoods might work stock, better chances with the option of adding those seals.

(As in, talking to the TÜV I could say I can get them dust-sealed, raising my chances).

As said above I also got a guy on a German forum who’s running Skyline brakes with a custom spacer (he’s on here too).

I’ve NEVER seen something like a self made spacer for brakes being approved, but with me already needing special approval for a ton of parts (engine, gearbox, seats, cage, seatbelts, suspension, wheels...) I might just consult the TÜV on that as well.

The biggest problem is the car’s rarity over here, so there’s next to no parts that have a decent approval chance.

Stock is no option, but if there were, say, super expensive Brembos with full certification that bolt up, I would probably not think much about not doing it.

But that option doesn’t exist, and I don’t want to sink endless money into parts getting denied.

Its part of why I’ll most likely invest in custom KW Clubsport Suspension.

Full paperwork, and it bolts right up AND performs well.

Max

I honestly don’t know.

They usually want to see them on cars though, and you can’t mount motorbike brakes on a car and get away with it.

Doesn‘t really make sense, but it doesn’t have to.

Same way OEM valved exhausts are legal but aftermarket ones (or even retro-fitting them) aren't.

Max

When I went to the Switzerland "tüv" they gave me a chance to buy a second complete brake kit and have it strength testet (until it brakes apart) this test would have costed 2k$. Maybe something like this could be done.

And the distance plate I covered with muffler paste and painted it so you can't see it.

That might be an idea, although it's a costly one 😐
I might have to do that already to get the wheels I want, since, for example, VOLK TE37V have Japanese certifications that have higher demands than the German stuff, but they don't do some salt-test which apparently can't be done on its own.
So, unless I find someone saying something different, that'd be buying a wheel, and having it tested DESTRUCTIVELY.
Currently my two favorite options are either that Skyline-Brake (but I'll wait and watch if the guy doing it gets it TÜVed), or Wilwoods all around.
Which I've seen getting TÜV TWICE now.

Max