HybridZ

JDM Legends paint colour

EF Ian

On 1/7/2019 at 6:43 PM, Neverdone said:

It's gonna be hard to really tell because the lighting on all of those pictures is different, and changes the color.

Especially on lighter blue cars, I can show you 10 photos of mine where the colour look different. Same for all the colours I'm looking at, same colour looks great in most cases then theres always a few photos where it look very different.

Only way to tell is to see it in person.

At the moment I'm going for a sample of Datsun 903 Metallic Blue, 072 Blue and Aston Martin Ming blue.

• 1 year later...

I put quite a bit of effort to finding out what it was a while back, and I found some cached FB comment by them that mentioned that color. Couldn't find the FB post, but, looking at Aston Martins painted in that color and comparing it to the Z they did, I'm 90% sure that's the color. 

Edit: Somehow I was able to get to the FB post this time, looks like it was used on a 510. I still think this is the color they used on the 240Z as well, although it'd be a little weird to use the same one on two projects. 

https://www.facebook.com/142042485827055/posts/heres-a-nice-update-from-our-painter-cios-restoring-the-dream-on-the-1968-datsun/1126004774097483/

I don't think it's 115. It looks a bit light for that, and the hue doesn't seem quite right. Of course, trying to determine color based on comparison of online photos is hard due to editing, lighting, etc. 

Looking at these two photos though (and many others), I'm reasonably convinced it's the same color. It looks very similar to me. 

1973-Datsun-240Z-with-a-stroked-3.2-L-L-

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by rturbo 930

This is the guy who painted it, and I found two comments on two posts from him saying it's BMW Monte Carlo blue. Unfortunately, I can't really find any good photos of Monte Carlo blue that look similar to the Z color, but I'll have to take his word for it, since he'd be the guy to know. So I guess I was wrong after all and it's not the very similar Aston Martin color. 

Edited by rturbo 930
  • Thanks 1

The Aston Martin definitely seems about as close as you can get, but it seemed a bit lighter to me.

Like you said though, it's SO hard to tell from pictures and video. That being said, I knew it was something other than 115, but it's a really nice and similar color when properly cared for.