HybridZ

260z or 280z?

Zen

I’m in a dilemma with two S30s a 260z with a v8 but water damaged interior, and 280z that needs a roof replacement, I’m going with the 280z cause it’s a roof replacement is $500 and water damage interior could be +1000 and I know the 280z actually runs, but what would you guys pick

Pros and Cons to both...

280Z Pros:

Newer style chassis with more available parts. 

Roof replacement is relatively straightforward if you can find a good donor.

You can drive the 280 now and it has all the original parts including harness etc.

You have a more modern FI system with a better electric pump etc

280Z Cons:

You have ugly 5mph bumpers that will need to be replaced!

You have to deal with a roof replacement

260Z Pros:

More classic look to the interior and bumpers.

Rarer car (if that's what you desire)

Can be made to look like a 240 a lot easier

260Z Cons:

It has someone else's V8 swap... who knows how well it was done or how bad the frame has been affected

Wiring harness has been cut up

Water damage. more rust, more work

Very hard to find some unique 260Z parts

Is the least desirable S30 chassis for most people (next to the 2+2 of either!)

My two cents is go for the 280 and restore it the way you want. Drive it for a while for fun and enjoy those memories while it is in the shop for the next year! or three....

15 hours ago, Zen said:

I’m in a dilemma with two S30s a 260z with a v8 but water damaged interior, and 280z that needs a roof replacement, I’m going with the 280z cause it’s a roof replacement is $500 and water damage interior could be +1000 and I know the 280z actually runs, but what would you guys pick

What are your plans?  "runs" doesn't seem like much to make a choice on.

Pick the one that has least amount of the type of work you hate.

• 3 weeks later...

Take the 280 as the 260 may have severe torsional twist from an improperly installed V8. Unless, of course you live in California and then you'll want the older of the two as cars built in 1976 and before do not require smog checks and are easier to register and license. In either case have a shop do the normal inspections, breaks, alignment, compression check ect. before diving in to what will likely be an Odyssey. 

Really not enough details about the two cars you're considering for anyone to make an informed decision, and no one can know how you intend to use the car except you.

As said by NewZed....what are your plans for the car, and which of the two you're considering more closely meets your needs? 

Factor in all the expected costs (purchase price, replacement parts, upgrade parts, your time and effort, etc, etc)....and then multiply by 2 or 3, to get a realistic long-term cost of ownership & restoration.