HybridZ

New Datsun 280Z owner in MD, USA

Dotsun_GHLS280Z

Hello Everyone, recently I have become an owner of running 1977 Datsun 280Z. I have always loved them and wanted to get hands on one of them, I have gotten my hands on this 280Z 2+2 GHLS 4 SPD. I am in love with the car, but it does have its flaws. I would like to sincerely ask the HybridZ community for any and all the help you all can provide on bringing my car to at its best. 

The known issues so far are as follows:

All the lights work other than the front Headlights, and Hazard button does not work.

Passenger door does not close fully and it seems does not latch on to the hook.

Water on the floor of the car from rain seems to be getting in from the doors. 

Shift boot is nonexistent and can see the ground from the shift lever. (hence the fumes from busted exhaust are almost at hazardous level while driving the car)

Atlast the Dreaded Rust is certainly present but it is not severe at as far as I can tell. 

I am very excited to join the community and would like to humbly ask for all of your help to keep this beautiful car alive and well. Thanks

20190108_155549.jpg

20190109_135612.jpg

20190108_155559.jpg

20190109_135605.jpg

20190109_135620.jpg

Edited by Dotsun_GHLS280Z

The headlight dimmer switches get gummed up on these old cars and stop the headlights from working.  You can spray contact cleaner in to the base of the stalk and work it back and forth and they might start working. Or the fuses could be blown.

There are several places on the internet where you can download a service manual.  You should do that, they're very thorough.

What's up with the drill motor?  Is it for scale?

Edited by NewZed

34 minutes ago, NewZed said:

The headlight dimmer switches get gummed up on these old cars and stop the headlights from working.  You can spray contact cleaner in to the base of the stalk and work it back and forth and they might start working. Or the fuses could be blown.

There are several places on the internet where you can download a service manual.  You should do that, they're very thorough.

What's up with the drill motor?  Is it for scale?

Yes, after posting here I went looking for answers on the Headlights and found the Service Manual on XenonZCars.com for 1977 S30. Also several other threads indicate that this is a common issue with these Z cars especially for the 75-78 280Z where either the stock is clean or it could be the ground for the lighting circuit. I will clean the stock and see if all the grounds are OK. The drill was left there as I needed to take the License Plates off in a hurry and had to be back at work so I didn't bother removing it when I was taking the photos. 

Regarding the headlights, lots of potential issues in the circuitry, but don't forget to check that main three-pin connectors for the headlight harness.  There are two (one for each headlight) and they are typically routed along the lower portion of the radiator core support.

For the Hazard switch, it too can get gummed up over time and may come around with simple cleaning.  It's a fragile little plastic rocker switch, so it's possible that it's just disintegrated internally over time.  Easy to pop out of the console to inspect it and the six-wire plug it connects to.

Tip for searching HybridZ for technical info....use Google search with "HybridZ" in your search string.  That usually produces better results than using HybridZ's organic search feature.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank You  NewZed, and JHM, most of my issues have been resolved after going through most of the circuitry of my car. 

*Headlights were fixed via  replacing shattered Glass Fuse

*Voltage Guage was also fixed via replacing blown Glass Fuse

*Alternator Charge issue was fixed after fixing the Volt Guage and noticing no charge light was turning on when starting the car, change the bulb in the volt gauge and the light came on but the alternator was still not charging. The issue was resolved after changing the Fusible Links alternator worked like a charm.

*Rough Idle was fixed via going through the vacuum hoses and noticed one to be broken, after reconnecting the hose car Idle was better.

Now I am trying to focus on the Brakes:

Thinking of doing the Toyota PU Calipers and 1980 280ZX Master Cylinder, and upgrading the brake lines if needed, also brake hoses as well.

Next is Ignition:

I want to know if the Stock Distributor is good or should I upgrade it?

Also, the Ignition Coil is still stock, and feel like I should Upgrade that as well to something a bit more powerful and free flowing. 

After that I want to focus on the Exhaust:

I have a terrible hole or leak in my exhaust and all the fumes are coming to the cabin somehow.

Also, are there any Known Exhaust Systems available for the 280z 2+2? or would it be cheaper to go to a reputable Exhaust Shop and have them make one for the Car?

For some reason when I start the car after an extended time, I can smell a lot of unburnt gas it gets better after time but initially, it seems that car is running Rich as Hell

Yes, lots of options to replace the stock distributor and coil....but is it really necessary?  If you are already getting strong spark, why are you looking at replacements?  If not, then maybe consider upgrading.  If you're planning to build the motor in the future, that's usually a good reason to upgrade the stock ignition.

Exhaust fumes:  it's very possible that they're coming in through the hatch.  The hatch seals and rear tail light panel are notorious for leaking and allowing exhaust fumes into the driver's cabin.  I would check those areas for leakage first.  

Exhaust systems can be purchased through a number of vendors.  MSA Auto and Z Car Source typically have a large inventory of stock and upgraded parts.  If you have a local exhaust shop that will give you a good deal, that may be the way to go; if you decide that your current exhaust needs replacing.