HybridZ

Whining on acceleration

The higher pitch is me blipping the throttle. When coasting it's quite and on acceleration where the engine is actually pushing i.e. going down hill faster than gravity, it has this whine. The last transmission flush had an inch of shavings on the magnetic drian plug. I have a 4 speed 260z and a unknown welded diff. Plans to swap out to spare open diff. and swap in a 5 speed 240sx transmission. Any info on that swap would be helpful to have!!! PS 75mph is actually 60mph

Edited by youztheclue

I don't know if someone whos has done more than change the coolant out (me), knows the issue and can help. I am still green to owning the z and it's problems. And the noise only during acceleration is a condition I'm not 100 percent on pinpointing.

Edited by youztheclue
Wording

I watched the video, and honestly couldn't hear anything untoward.  However, a bunch of metal shavings in your tranny is not good.  Other likely sources of whining noises in the drivetrain are the differential (welded or otherwise), and the u-joints in your driveshaft and half-shafts.

If you're really worried about it, I would put it on a lift and run it....that will give you the opportunity to better track down where the noise is coming from.