HybridZ
Sign in to follow this  
eec564

Intermittent Fuel Leak Near/From Injector

On my '82 N/A I've discovered a fuel leak.  Over the past several months, about once every couple of weeks, normally after filling up the tank, I'd notice a very slight smell of fuel.

Two days ago I located a leak at the #1 injector after parking at work.  The host connecting the rail to the injector had a small amount of fuel on it, and the top of the injector was very slightly wet.  There was no visible source of the exact place the fuel was leaking from.

After letting the car cool down, I primed the system several times with the key to bring the system up to pressure, checked for leaks and couldn't find any.

I drove home (only a couple miles), checked again, no leaks.  Ran the engine at various RPMs, wiggled the hoses, still no leaks.

There's no smell of fuel under the hood or around the car currently, including the oil.

Has anyone seen it where an injector or a hose would have a small leak, then stop completely?  If so, where did they determine the leak was coming from?

Does anyone have any troubleshooting suggestions for locating the leak?

-Eric

The hoses get small lengthwise cracks in them and leak, a common problem.  Replacing the hose is a service procedure shown in the FSM, page EF&EC-52, it's easy.  Use 5/16" EFI high pressure EFI hose.  You can get it at any auto parts store.  You should replace the injector-manifold seals also, they're cheap and simple too.  Odds are it's the hose, not the injector.  Injectors rarely leak externally.

Awesome, thanks.  I have some spare injectors, but they've been sitting for several years and I'd be hesitant to use them without getting them cleaned by WitchHunter or similar first.

Some confirmation that I'm on the right troubleshooting track is great.  7.9mm line is easy to get around here, I'll see if I can source new seals and o-rings locally, or maybe just make it a 2-stage repair.

-Eric

After more poking and prodding than I'd care to admit, I finally located a small weep in the side of the #1 injector hose.  Ironically, it's an aftermarket from some parts store, with what appears to be far newer hose than the rest of them.

Got new hose, started to install it...doesn't fit.  The brand new stuff that's compliant with the new evap emissions standards has a slightly larger outside diameter than the OEM hoses.  It's just big enough that it doesn't fit down in the hose socket correctly, doubly so for the aftermarket injector that has a hose socket about 1/3rd inch deep.

Looks like I'll just replace the sockets with FI hose clamps, unless anyone chimes in with a reason not to do that.

-Eric

I think that the socket is just there to stop the hose from sliding down too far.  It's the barb that grabs and seals.  The hose does not need to fit in to the socket.

Just make sure that there are no nicks or deep scratches on the barb edges.  You don't want to damage the inner lining of the hose.  That's the key.  Lubricate it (edit - with gasoline), slide it on, and the edges of the sharp barb will seal.

https://www.industrialspec.com/about-us/blog/detail/barb-connectors-in-depth-design-and-function

Edited by NewZed