HybridZ

Anyone Running +20mm Offset 16x8 (or any 8" wide) Wheels?

Looking to buy a set of 16x8 wheels with 245/50/16 tires to run on all 4 corners on the most recent 280z project. Both previous S30 had the same rim and tire combo with +0mm offset. Had to roll fender lips on the rear to clear. Planning on running rear coilovers on this car, like the previous cars.

Anyone with 8" wide rear wheels with +20mm? No spacers, etc.?

Thanks!!

That would definitely fit on my car as its only 10mm further in than my current setup and not as far in as my planned 8.5" 245 rear setup will be. 

Not sure on the front though, while I can run wider there it would mean less lock as my 225/45/16 8x16 +10 already hits on full lock.

3 minutes ago, EF Ian said:

That would definitely fit on my car as its only 10mm further in than my current setup and not as far in as my planned 8.5" 245 rear setup will be. 

Not sure on the front though, while I can run wider there it would mean less lock as my 225/45/16 8x16 +10 already hits on full lock.

I would get +0 for the fronts.

Are you running rear coilovers? How much room do you have on the inside on the rear?

Thanks. 

I have two (2) 240z's, one with 16 x 8" with a +13, 5" backspace on all four corners running 245 40's.  The other is about the same setup also running 245's on all four corners.  The fenders are rolled on both.  The orange is not as low but the red one is about 4.5" off the ground.  Both cars have no rubbing issues.  Both cars have coil overs. Running 245's really enable the car to stick to the pavement incredibly.  Rather than going with anyone's specific off-set, I would recommend that you buy that tool to measure the maximum tire/wheel your car can fit or go to a good tire shop  and have them measure it.  The reason to me is that everyone is likely to run different brand suspensions, etc.  I think my Red Z if a slightly different off-set but I cannot remember what it is but I do believe it is 5" backspace, it is closer to a zero offset?.  Thus if you measure it you can fit the max for your car.  I know on my Red car that I think I could actually fit a 255 if I push it but doubt that would clear in the front so I opted to go front/back with 245's so I can rotate them.  I am running about a -1" camber and get pretty good life of the tire (inside 1-2" might be worn down to no tread and the other end is usually at or more than the wear level so with rotating them I get decent life). Both Z's are running Arizona Z car front 12.5" vented 4 piston Wilwood brake setup. The Orange Z is running BC Racing coilovers and the Red Z is running ground control coilovers. Lastly both cars have no issues with turning the wheels to full lock, etc. no rubbing, etc.

And yes both cars are running with no spacers....

IMG_7027.JPG

DSC02681.JPG

DSC02682.JPG

Junez license covered.jpg

DSC02680.JPG

Edited by primaz

On 1/23/2019 at 7:13 PM, Cable said:

Are you running rear coilovers? How much room do you have on the inside on the rear?

Yes. 

I have just over 25mm clearance, enough to run a 8.5" but not sure if its enough to run a 9".

20 hours ago, EF Ian said:

Yes. 

I have just over 25mm clearance, enough to run a 8.5" but not sure if its enough to run a 9".

A 16 x 8 with a 245 wide tire will fit without any spacers on a stock body but again to be perfect and especially if you guys want to push it to the maximum and run any size larger than 8" you could fit wider in the rears (255 + ) BUT why be cheap you can rent the right tool to squeeze your offset to the maximum for under $50 bucks.

http://www.1320wheels.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=334

I read the posting of the guy whom stuffed a 275 but that required longer studs, modifications to the shafts, adjustable aftermarket lower control arms, and I believe he had different offsets on one side versus the other for some reason?  Thus when you go beyond a 245 you do not want a mistake as the clearance that is left is so small you should not go by what others have used unless your car is exactly the same year, same suspension mods, brakes, etc. and why risk it for $50 bucks and you can measure it exactly for your car?  My two 240's both have 245's but the offset is slightly different.  You do not need to purchase those expensive tools $250-800 or buy a cheaper quality tool for $100-200; just rent the high quality tool for $50 bucks....

B)

Edited by primaz

I have owned two previous 1975 280z, both ran 245/50/16 on XXR 002 16x8 +0mm, but needed to roll the fender lips.

I was just thinking a +20mm offset on a 16x8 will tuck under more to get away from having to roll the fender lips.

On 2/2/2019 at 2:54 AM, Cable said:

I was just thinking a +20mm offset on a 16x8 will tuck under more to get away from having to roll the fender lips.

Well, it would, but its going to be super close to the shock at the rear if it clears at all and at the front you will be hitting the chassis on full lock.

4 hours ago, EF Ian said:

Well, it would, but its going to be super close to the shock at the rear if it clears at all and at the front you will be hitting the chassis on full lock.

I planned on some bolt on 25mm spacer/adapters for the front. Coilovers might be in order to get the added clearance I need in the rear.

Would it be easier to stay with zero offset and dial in some negative camber?  That might preclude the need to roll the fenders, while still giving you the clearance you need on the inside of the wheel.

Also, if you're averse to switching to coilovers, the stock spring perches can be trimmed for additional wheel clearance w/o affecting the structural integrity.

22 hours ago, Cable said:

I planned on some bolt on 25mm spacer/adapters for the front. Coilovers might be in order to get the added clearance I need in the rear.

Dude,

Just rent that tool for $50 bucks that I posted and you can be assured of getting the perfect offset for your Z and eliminate any spacers.  I do not understand what is the big deal?  You can see from two of my 240's that a 245 will clear the stock body without any limiting of turning the wheels to full lock.  I think our Orange Z with the +13 would clear without rolling but we rolled it to make sure.  When you are going to find that perfect size to keep the fenders non rolled, just rent that tool and then you will be 100% correct with no guessing.  Both of the two 240'z's I posted are street cars and the Orange one is a very mild ride with full coil overs that my wife drives.  Sorry but to me, "don't be cheap, just rent the tool and measure your car".

10 minutes ago, primaz said:

Dude,

Just rent that tool for $50 bucks that I posted and you can be assured of getting the perfect offset for your Z and eliminate any spacers.  I do not understand what is the big deal?  You can see from two of my 240's that a 245 will clear the stock body without any limiting of turning the wheels to full lock.  I think our Orange Z with the +13 would clear without rolling but we rolled it to make sure.  When you are going to find that perfect size to keep the fenders non rolled, just rent that tool and then you will be 100% correct with no guessing.  Both of the two 240'z's I posted are street cars and the Orange one is a very mild ride with full coil overs that my wife drives.  Sorry but to me, "don't be cheap, just rent the tool and measure your car".

This ain't my first rodeo DUDE. I have owned these cars for 20+ years, been a member of this site for 15 years, and have built many more for customers. Who do you think you are attempting to give me advice? Comedy!!

I have absolutely ZERO interest in renting a tool if I already know 245mm will fit with a +0 offset 16x8 wheel. I was simply curious if anyone has run a +20mm and cleared everything in the rear. Blowing $50 on a rental tool (with a joke $400 deposit) is exactly that....blowing money.

The topic was a simple question.. So if you aren't running a 16x8 wheel with +20mm offset (in the rear)....I am not interested in hearing your opinion(s).

Edited by Cable

On 2/2/2019 at 2:54 AM, Cable said:

I have owned two previous 1975 280z, both ran 245/50/16 on XXR 002 16x8 +0mm, but needed to roll the fender lips.

I did some measuring yesterday for speccing new wheels and it look like I'll be able to run a 8.5x16 with a +14/15 offset, there would e no way I could run +20 and thats with skinny coil overs. With the plus 14 I only had 3mm spare, perhaps 4mm at a push.

Good news for you if you only want an 8" then as an 8x16 with +20 offset would bring the wheel to the same place as my 8.5x16 ET14 and therefore its quite likely possible for you. Provided you have coilovers though.

8 minutes ago, EF Ian said:

I did some measuring yesterday for speccing new wheels and it look like I'll be able to run a 8.5x16 with a +14/15 offset, there would e no way I could run +20 and thats with skinny coil overs. With the plus 14 I only had 3mm spare, perhaps 4mm at a push.

Good news for you if you only want an 8" then as an 8x16 with +20 offset would bring the wheel to the same place as my 8.5x16 ET14 and therefore its quite likely possible for you. Provided you have coilovers though.

That's great news!! I really appreciate the leg work.