HybridZ

Z31 ECU and harness

JelmerPatrol

I plan on building a L28ET for my 1984 Nissan Patrol. Parts that I already have:

L28 block

P90 turbo head

Euro turbo exhaust manifold

Flat top pistons

RB20DET turbocharger

US turbo intake manifold

My goal is torque, not so much high Hp numbers

Can I run a Z31 ECU and wiring harness on this setup? What about tuning this setup? Which year Z31?

How much you plan on saving by going this route? Seems cost unproductive in the long run. If you're trying to save every penny then go with speeduino or microsquirt.

As to more directly answering your question, the NA Z31 parts would be hard to use out of the box and you'll spend a good amount of time getting it to run right. The tune on the turbo z31 would be a far better starting point, but I can still guantee that things like spool response and torque curve won't be near as good as having a modern programmable ECU.

I'm not trying to cut costs. I had Megasquirt on my VG30DET (now sold the engine with ECU) and liked it but it needed small re-tunes after a while or when weather changed a lot.

I like the steadyness of a factory ECU, that is why I keep the factory ECU on my VH45DE too.

I did mean a Z31 turbo ecu, not an NA.

The early Z31 ECU will plug into the L28ET stock harness with minor re-wiring (a few ECU pin relocations on the plug IIRC).  The stock Z31 ECCS harness would need quite a bit of re-work on an L28ET.  In either case, the stock harnesses are old and are generally the cause of many problems we have with engine swaps.  I gave up repairing harness bits on my own car and now believe strongly in building a new harness when you're changing ECU's.  That's what I would advise in your case...

(After the stock ECU on my L28ET, I went with an Infiniti M30 ECU with Nistune Type 2 daughterboard installed. (the Leopard model In Japan - in the US fitted with the VG30E) It ran the L28ET very well even though it's a "non-turbo ECU".  We did use Nistune to re-tune it slightly)