HybridZ

Battery died now car won't start

Looking for some advice before I dive head first into the engine bay.

It is a 1977 280z pretty stock minus headers

So I had accidentally left my head lights on. So, of course, my battery died. I tried to jump start the car and it cranked and smelled of gas but wouldn't turn over. I figured I might have flooded the engine for trying to much so I let the car sit for about 24 hours. I brought a new battery (tested and all so I know it works) and it was the same problem. The engine cranks and I smell gas but it won't actually turn over. The ignition coil has spark. The distributor has spark. But it just won't turn over. Any ideas of what to check? Also I should add the for about a week and a half before this happened my car has been running a bit rough. It just started out of nowhere. The engine has a bit more shake to it and there seems to be a good loss of power. I kind of suspected the water temp sensor since I had a problem with it in the past. I replaced it's plug but not the sensor itself. And if I ever touched it while the car was running it would cause a rough idle.

Anyways if anyone can give me some advice it would be much appreciated. 

I'd just like to add that I'm a young car enthusiast. I know my way around a wrench (I've changed the intake and exhaust manifold myself and cleaned up some wiring) but I'm far from an expert. And I know very little about the science of electricity.

Edited by Senor_Grizzly

Nobody is going to respond to this.  

Do the following:

• Read all of the new member FAQs as required by HybridZ rules.
  • Nobody can diagnose your problem without knowing the year, make and model of the car. Also, state any modifications to the car.
  • Spend some time searching HybridZ and then re-write your description of the problem. Use the edit function on your post and re-write it.
  • Download a copy of the Factory Service Manual (FSM) for your car. The FSM is available on HybridZ.
  • Search before asking questions. Members respond better to informed questions.
Edited by Miles

On 1/24/2019 at 2:49 PM, Senor_Grizzly said:

It is a 1977 280z pretty stock minus headers

So I had accidentally left my head lights on. So, of course, my battery died. I tried to jump start the car and it cranked and smelled of gas but wouldn't turn over.

The engine cranks and I smell gas but it won't actually turn over. The ignition coil has spark. The distributor has spark. But it just won't turn over.

I kind of suspected the water temp sensor since I had a problem with it in the past. I replaced it's plug but not the sensor itself. And if I ever touched it while the car was running it would cause a rough idle.

And I know very little about the science of electricity.

First, you need to learn a little bit about electricity.  Get a test light or a multimeter.  It's not that hard, there are you tube videos about it.

Second, learn what the words mean.  "Crank" means "turn over".  The first cars had a hand crank to turn the crankshaft.  You probably mean "fire" or "start" when you say turn over.  

So, what you're saying is that when you turn the key to Start the engine "turns over" but does not start.  But it smells like gas. The problem with the coolant temperature sensor might be a clue.  If the sensor does not have a good connection or if it does not work the ECU will add lots of extra fuel.  You might have flooded the engine.  Remove a spark plug and see if it is wet with gasoline.

The best way to test the coolant temperature circuit is with a multimeter at the ECU connector.  Measure resistance.  Compare resistnace to the number on the chart in the FSM or the EFI Book.  Use the book to find the proper pins.  It covers all years through 1980.

https://www.classiczcars.com/files/file/32-efi-book-1980/