HybridZ

roesler

When it comes to shopping for headers the l28 has few unique options for headers. I don’t know much about  this but why can’t  you make a 6 into 3 header where 1-4 go into collector #1 and 5-2 go into collector #2 and finally 3-6 go into collector #3 or something else like this? I am just curious why Nobody has ever played with the sound in this manner

12 hours ago, HuD 91gt said:

The cylinder which fire 360 degrees apart are usually paired to create the best scavaging effect.

But other than performance is it possible to make a 6-3 and have them adjoined by two y pipes or maybe even three pipes straight back. Would the sound be any different?

1 hour ago, HuD 91gt said:

Yes it is possible.  I believe you would want to pair 6-1, 5-2, 4-3.  Get welding!

That is my plan this summer, I’m really fascinated with how the 180 degree headers completely change how a v8 sounds I wonder if this will completely change the sound of the l28

1 hour ago, HuD 91gt said:

Yes it is possible.  I believe you would want to pair 6-1, 5-2, 4-3.  Get welding!

12 hours ago, wozza said:

That's what I built, I regularly get comments at the track with people saying how great it sounds and wondering if im revving to 10000 rpm.

Taught myself to weld so it took a long time to build. Hundreds of hours of work.

IMG_20171117_153332.jpg

This is exactly what I was looking for was it paired by 1-6, 5-2, 3-4 ? And what if you didn’t combine all into one collecter and had three pipes going out and connected them with two y pipes or three straight pipes out the back 

Edited by roesler

Your pairing is correct. 6-3-1 is suppose to be better for midrange, It was recommended by a ex British touring car engineer I work with. If you don't run them together (at the correct length) to 1 tube you will sacrifice power. I wouldn't recommend three pipes. Is this going to be for a race car or street?

45 minutes ago, wozza said:

Your pairing is correct. 6-3-1 is suppose to be better for midrange, It was recommended by a ex British touring car engineer I work with. If you don't run them together (at the correct length) to 1 tube you will sacrifice power. I wouldn't recommend three pipes. Is this going to be for a race car or street?

45 minutes ago, wozza said:

Street, and it would be three collectors where they are all separate but then either adjoined later by y pipes I’m purely curious to how it would sound as I haven’t seen it done. I don’t mind losing power I’m looking. For a unique sound almost like how 180 degree headers change the tone of a v8 what would doing this do? In theory couldn’t you make a similar tone change if you paired certain Cylinders ?

The first three and 4-5-6 each connect to a 3 to 1 collector with each having their own exhaust pipe. This was built back in the day by the guys at BSR and it required some changes to the motor and diff mounts to clear the steering coupler,

"180° headers" on a cross-plane crank V8 change the sound due to those V8s being odd-fire engines, i.e. there is a point in the firing order where bank one fires twice and where bank two fires twice. 180° headers pair cylinders in a way that alternates exhaust pulses evenly between bank one and bank two to even out the scavenging effect.

The L6 only has one bank of cylinders so getting even scavenging is not nearly as big a challenge. It becomes more of an exercise in getting the desired tuned length of primary vs being able to package it all. There are more ways to screw it up than getting it right. People don't typically don't build custom headers just for sound which is probably why you haven't seen every configuration you can think of being built.

Feel free to build a set and show us what they sound like. ;)

Edited by Leon

Agree with Leon. I have to wonder if there is a measurable difference in a 6-3-1 vs 6-2-1 design. I would think if you grouped the primaries so that you got an exhaust pulse every 120 degrees on the 6-2-1 you'd get roughly the same effect as the 6-3-1. The main thing is the primary lengths, and according to Vizard, even that is secondary to not having as many bends in the tubing on a V8. You see some people go to great lengths to get equal length primaries, and I think especially when they use a lot of really tight bends to make the rear cylinder primary as long as the front, they're probably losing overall.

2 hours ago, JMortensen said:

Agree with Leon. I have to wonder if there is a measurable difference in a 6-3-1 vs 6-2-1 design. I would think if you grouped the primaries so that you got an exhaust pulse every 120 degrees on the 6-2-1 you'd get roughly the same effect as the 6-3-1. The main thing is the primary lengths, and according to Vizard, even that is secondary to not having as many bends in the tubing on a V8. You see some people go to great lengths to get equal length primaries, and I think especially when they use a lot of really tight bends to make the rear cylinder primary as long as the front, they're probably losing overall.

What would happen if you paired different cylinders than the typical would that change the tone you could even go as far as pairing the normal ones and then making them pair into different ones using exhaust I have found a video to kinda explain what I mean. In the video he couldn’t fit normal 180 degree headers so he paired them using a combination of his headers and y-pipes to make a 180 degrees 

https://youtu.be/pG2TvSl8dRY

On 2/19/2019 at 9:08 AM, JMortensen said:

And the effective length of a bend is different to a straight anyway.