Jump to content
HybridZ

Recommended Posts

When it comes to shopping for headers the l28 has few unique options for headers. I don’t know much about  this but why can’t  you make a 6 into 3 header where 1-4 go into collector #1 and 5-2 go into collector #2 and finally 3-6 go into collector #3 or something else like this? I am just curious why Nobody has ever played with the sound in this manner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, HuD 91gt said:

The cylinder which fire 360 degrees apart are usually paired to create the best scavaging effect.

 

But other than performance is it possible to make a 6-3 and have them adjoined by two y pipes or maybe even three pipes straight back. Would the sound be any different?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HuD 91gt said:

Yes it is possible.  I believe you would want to pair 6-1, 5-2, 4-3.  Get welding!

 

That is my plan this summer, I’m really fascinated with how the 180 degree headers completely change how a v8 sounds I wonder if this will completely change the sound of the l28

1 hour ago, HuD 91gt said:

Yes it is possible.  I believe you would want to pair 6-1, 5-2, 4-3.  Get welding!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's what I built, I regularly get comments at the track with people saying how great it sounds and wondering if im revving to 10000 rpm.

Taught myself to weld so it took a long time to build. Hundreds of hours of work.

IMG_20171117_153332.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, wozza said:

That's what I built, I regularly get comments at the track with people saying how great it sounds and wondering if im revving to 10000 rpm.

Taught myself to weld so it took a long time to build. Hundreds of hours of work.

IMG_20171117_153332.jpg

This is exactly what I was looking for was it paired by 1-6, 5-2, 3-4 ? And what if you didn’t combine all into one collecter and had three pipes going out and connected them with two y pipes or three straight pipes out the back 

Edited by roesler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your pairing is correct. 6-3-1 is suppose to be better for midrange, It was recommended by a ex British touring car engineer I work with. If you don't run them together (at the correct length) to 1 tube you will sacrifice power. I wouldn't recommend three pipes. Is this going to be for a race car or street?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, wozza said:

Your pairing is correct. 6-3-1 is suppose to be better for midrange, It was recommended by a ex British touring car engineer I work with. If you don't run them together (at the correct length) to 1 tube you will sacrifice power. I wouldn't recommend three pipes. Is this going to be for a race car or street?

 

45 minutes ago, wozza said:

Your pairing is correct. 6-3-1 is suppose to be better for midrange, It was recommended by a ex British touring car engineer I work with. If you don't run them together (at the correct length) to 1 tube you will sacrifice power. I wouldn't recommend three pipes. Is this going to be for a race car or street?

Street, and it would be three collectors where they are all separate but then either adjoined later by y pipes I’m purely curious to how it would sound as I haven’t seen it done. I don’t mind losing power I’m looking. For a unique sound almost like how 180 degree headers change the tone of a v8 what would doing this do? In theory couldn’t you make a similar tone change if you paired certain Cylinders ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×