HybridZ

240Z+ poly transmission mount development

Alright, it's been a while since I've upset the status quo around here, so let me begin by saying, I hope to have these ready to offer by mid-march if there's enough interest. Due to the fact that they are using components from an existing kit (300ZX trans mounts) there is minimal work required, but questions remain.

Firstly, the bushings are offset, putting the majority of compressive material above the bushing sleeves on the 300ZX kit, and like the 300ZX kit, we would be ditching the upper C-shaped isolator that attaches to the OEM bracket which is a lot softer. However, because of driveline swaps, I don't know how much height adjustment would be ideal for a s30's, the bushings can be rotated to a position 8mm lower (4mm offset eye = +4/-4), but shims or washers can be used on top. The 300ZX kit comes with 4mm shims (optionally) but standard washers are approximately 2mm thick, and would be a cheaper option if significant height isn't needed.

The included photos show the potential change on the baseline height, but because the OEM mount sits funny and the upper isolater is deformed, it's hard to get a perfect comparison. If anyone can provide accurate face offsets from the bracket to the isolator top on a new bushing, I would appreciate it.

Secondly, as you can see, the shape would be somewhat different, there is more stuff hanging down to the sides, and less in the middle, I'm concerned this might affect exhaust clearance? Some expert feedback welcome here as well.

Assuming everything checks out, there's a third possible question here: offering plain brackets without the seams welded (as shown), as opposed to welded and powder/e-coated could be an option, what are your opinions on that if it saves money? Likewise, what's a fair price with weld+paint? I've seen some very expensive mounts for engine swaps that are far simpler designs, and I know this can be offered <$200USD...

As for compatibility, the mount uses standard Nissan bolt spacing, and has been shown to work with all the 30a/71c and T-5. Anything compatible should also work well, the mount is narrower in body than the rather bulk isolator it replaces.

PS. if this is the wrong section, apologies, seems chassis related enough?

transmount_high.jpg

transmount_low.jpg

17 minutes ago, G-E said:

Is that really your question? 

They are height adjustable.

They are slotted for fine tuning. 

They are stiffer.

They are lighter.

They will not tear.

They look snazzy.

Yes, that was my question.  In the short number of years I've been bumbling around the Z sites I've not seen much demand for a different/better transmission mount.

Cool that you designed and made one.  Just wasn't clear why you did.  Good luck. 

Cost will probably affect interest.  You might ballpark that and post it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Final price would hinge on the bracket cost, really $130+bracket at this point.

This style of bushing is captive and should be much stiffer than the oem style cup isolator, and with the height adjustment, there should be more room available for say r30a swaps...

If anyone wants to volunteer to be a test mule, please chime in or pm.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...