HybridZ

Fancy Rear Bumper

Jughead

Yo Jedheads,

My Z came with an extra bumper which has an extra chrome piece mounted parallel with, and on top of,  the standard bumper.  See examples in the pics below.  Before I swap them, I'd like to know more about the fancy one.  Were they unique to certain years?  After Market?  Factory Option?  Buehler?  Thanks!

Rear Bumber.jpg

Rear Bumber 2.jpg

Edited by Jughead
Typos

Yes, the override bar and bumperettes were options...often dealer-installed.  Some restoration fans like them (for restoration purposes...a la ClassicZCar), and many others prefer the clean lines of the thin bumpers w/o them.  If you decide you don't want to keep them, and they're still in good shape, you can usually sell them for a few bucks.

I guess one could argue that they protected the bumpers in some small way, but I think most people treat them as cosmetic items.

The appeal they usually have is for someone restoring their 240 who wants to have every optional piece of equipment that was available at that time.  You will usually find the largest crowd of restoration purists on Classiczcar, and some of the S30 FB pages (e.g. 240z Registry).

Purely my own impressions, and I'm sure others will chime in if they have differing opinions.