HybridZ

Bad dog rails don't fit (280z)

artishard116

This is kind of a strange one. Test fitting my new frame rails from BD which state they are interchangeable side-to-side, however the stock passenger side rail on my '76 280 is totally different than the driver's side. On the inside edge facing the trans tunnel it is flat along the floor unlike the other the other rails which are contoured. It's also 1.5-2" taller on that side, so if I were to fit the replacement rail over it, it wouldn't reach all the way up to the floor. I've found a couple threads from 2008 referencing the same issue. Can anyone that's installed these on a 280 comment on how they got around this? 

Measurements in the below pics are taken from both sides of the same rail (passenger).

IMG_5904.jpg

DSCF1303.jpg

DSCF1302.jpg

DSCF1301.jpg

DSCF1298.jpg

DSCF1297.jpg

DSCF1296.jpg

Edited by artishard116
added pics

....or figure out where the BDP rail stops matching up with the floor contour and take measurements of the width, height and length so a replacement section can be made...

Figuring why there are 280Z coupes out there with 2+2 passenger side longer rail would be nice too.

1 hour ago, gnosez said:

....or figure out where the BDP rail stops matching up with the floor contour and take measurements of the width, height and length so a replacement section can be made...

Figuring why there are 280Z coupes out there with 2+2 passenger side longer rail would be nice too.

This seems to be the only option. It would have to be a piece that spans the whole length of the rail on the trans tunnel side, contours to meet the bad dog rail, extends up an inch and a half or so, and then runs flat along the floor. For the price I was hoping these would at least be the right shape.