HybridZ

Rocker-Door Gap HELP!

Jughead

Zed-Heads:  Requesting your help with my '72 240Z!   I'm installing a Tabco outer rocker panel on the driver-side. The old outer rocker had rust at the front and back but was mostly intact when I removed it, and it came off cleanly by drilling out the spot welds.  The inner rocker is clean and solid.

I’m pretty sure nothing shifted in the process. The original floor panels were not touched and are still intact. The car is on jack stands at the seatbelt cups in back, and in front at the steering “compression rod” mounts. (I did not weld bars in the stabilize everything. Maybe I should have?)

I trial fit the new rocker panel using clecos. The flat (horizontal) top of the new rocker panel fits snugly under the front door post where the old spot-welds were.  The rear end of the panel fits nicely under the door jam piece just in front of the dogleg.  I cannot move the new panel any higher.  

Now the issue: I reinstalled the door to check the fit and there is a half-inch gap between the top of the new rocker panel and the bottom edge of the door, and there is a similar gap width at the rear edge of the door

What am I missing? What should I try?  Should I take the car off the jacks? Does the door need shims or adjustment?   Let me know what pictures I should post!

Thanks!!

PS - Please message me directly as the "Reply" button is not working!

Edited by Jughead
No Reply box!

3 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Take the car off the jacks and see what that does for the gap,  the Tabco rocker re pops are pretty good but you still have to cut and modify. 

Yep.

It is possible that having the car on jack stands may be twisting the body.  Another possibility is that the car has been in a wreck in the past.

Try putting the car on the ground and test fit the part.  Also, post pictures of where the part isn't fitting etc

On 2/20/2019 at 7:46 PM, Jughead said:

The old outer rocker had rust at the front and back but was mostly intact when I removed it, and it came off cleanly by drilling out the spot welds.  The inner rocker is clean and solid.

I trial fit the new rocker panel using clecos. The flat (horizontal) top of the new rocker panel fits snugly under the front door post where the old spot-welds were.  The rear end of the panel fits nicely under the door jam piece just in front of the dogleg.  I cannot move the new panel any higher.  

Now the issue: I reinstalled the door to check the fit and there is a half-inch gap between the top of the new rocker panel and the bottom edge of the door, and there is a similar gap width at the rear edge of the door

What am I missing? What should I try? 

Put the old one back on and see if you still have the problem.  Compare the old one to the new one.  Check the body chapter for dimensions.  

image.thumb.png.ccbd9230a4eac480db5604162e7c15b1.png