HybridZ

Lowering Spring Gap

So question for those of you that have installed lowering springs on your cars. I've been working through my front suspension, and realized I had two blown struts on original springs, so I decided to go ahead and order a full new set of struts and springs for each corner. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STAGG-4-SHOCKS-LOWERING-SPRINGS-fits-NISSAN-DATSUN-260Z-280Z-74-75-76-77-78/401626649426

I've got these installed with the whole strut housing removed from the vehicle. Unfortunately when I went to see how they sat fully bolted up, I realized that the spring isn't remotely seated into the assembly. Is this normal for lowering springs (first time I've ever done suspension work like this). At the top of the assembly, I've got bump stop, top seat, bearing, then that top bushing. 

20190224_145400.jpg

This is normal for lowering springs. Just make sure that the spring sits in the lower spring perch and in the spring hat seat correctly when the weight is on the suspension (you have it in the right orientation here). It's easy to get them out of alignment when installing them in the car and before putting the car on the ground. I usually use a couple of zip ties to keep the spring in the right position with respect to the hat and perch. There are drain holes in the lower spring perch and in the hats that will fit zip ties.

Definitely going to have to look into that zip tie method. It was definitely a little unnerving putting them back together like this, but I guess its nice that I don't need to use a spring compressor to get them back together! Thanks for the help!

Edited by taaron