HybridZ

RB26DETT in my Z32? (yes/no)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I started my research into the rb26dett just a week ago for my z32 and you guys seem to know alot about the engine. I never knew that there were so many people out there who already have done or are considering doing the rb26dett swap in their z's. I just bought a 1990 300z nonturbo a couple or weeks ago for cheap. I really want to swap out the engine in my z32 because it has 200,000 miles already. I guess the only two swaps for this car that makes sense would be the VG30DETT and the RB26DETT. From what I know so far, the VG has the same horsepower as the RB but it is torquier. But what I also know is that the RB has more potential for tuning, it's inline 6 configuration is smoother than the v6, and is a lighter engine. Do you think it would be a good idea to choose the RB over the VG? Can you guys tell me why you might do this swap?

I read some where that the RB26DETT could be used with the z32 gearbox so that was another reason why I liked it. If I were to use the RB26DETT would I have to use the oil pan and sump from a Japanese z31 like Stony did? Could you guys tell me what I might need for this swap or any problems I might run into?

Here's some info that might help..

I'm from the states... Philadelphia to be exact

My car is a 1990 300zx nonturbo manual.

Other questions that are bothering me if you guys could also help with are....

What is the RB30DET? What car does this engine come from?

What is a driveshaft? What is a halfshaft?

What does a halfcut mean when purchasing engines?

Thanks guys for whatever information you can share. I'm an ex-honda guy converting to the world of the Z so bare with me please. cheers.gif

Guest Anonymous

I've never seen an RB26 in a Z32, but then again I've seen one in a series 5 or 6 RX7 so yeah, the engine bay on a Z32 is very cramped and I don't know if it would be long enough to fit a straight 6 in there?

On the gearbox thing I'm not too sure about that, I'd say that most probably they would match up, anybody know if the Z31 200ZGs had a different gearbox to a Z31 300ZX?

Theres no such thing as an RB30DET, there is the RB30E and ET they came in R30/R31 Skylines and also in VL Commodores in Australia and New Zealand, but the RB25 head fits on the RB30 block with a little modification. When they are making the high horsepower (800+) Skylines they usually use an RB30 block with the RB26 head etc.

Drive shafts connect the gearbox to the diff, they are also called prop shafts and several other things.

Half shafts connect the diff to the hubs/wheels (hope I've got this right).

A half cut is pretty much exactly that, the cut the car in the middle and give you everything, so you get the bonnet, guards, engine, gearbox (sometimes) ecu, dash etc etc

Good luck with your research, it'd be cool to see a straight 6 Z32, but its gonna be very expensive, usually when people as how can I put a VG30DETT in my N/A Z32 everybody just says "don't, sell it and buy a factory turbo one". I'm sure you could get as much power out of a VG30DETT than an RB26, but yeah, good luck!

Guest Anonymous

Thanks DJ33 for what you know. You really made most of my questions really clear for me now. So far I'm getting the impression that not too many people like to do engine swaps for the z32. This is a bit scary but I'm still going to search around for a little more before I reach any conclusions. I am willing to sell my nonturbo to buy a turbo one if that is the best option in the end however I only paid 3200 for mine and that is why I wouldn't mind spending money to get the rb26dett put in there. I have been trying to find the link to the site where I found that a rb will mate to a z32 gearbox but it's seems to have disappeared. I hope it wasn't just a dream or something. It could possibly be because I haven't taken my mind off of this swap for almost a couple weeks now. Do people sometimes use the z31 gearbox for this swap? (if that's the reason why you asked for the difference between a z31 and a z32 gearbox)

Alright... thanks again and hopefully somebody else may have more to tell me about this swap... hopefully Stony sees this post soon.

Guest Anonymous

Joe-Z, I'm not to familiar with the JZ engine you are talking about... I know it's a toyota engine but is it the supra twin turbo engine? Hopefully it is cause I've seen that engine before in real life and it's pretty long. It actually looks longer than the rb26dett. Well thanks for trying to help. I'll take a look at the link after this and maybe I'll learn something about JZ's.

Ok now you are getting into new territory for me... they have done the swap in japan but not sure how... look under your car if the deep part of you oil pan is in the rear you will need to modify a rb25 oil pan to the 2.6 so it will fit.

the VG tranny has a differnt bellhousing then the rb but if i know nissan all you have to do is swap the bellhousing from an rb motor and it should fit... this is just speculation it may bolt up.

I ve said it a hundred times ill say it again. youll have a faster more powerful car if you reserch and install a v-8 in your car. Im positive it will fit and pretty sure there are people that make a kit for it (not sure) Being your in the states. and just the motor alone will cost you more then my entire install start to finish id think of something else. unless of course your rich and dont mind spending alot of money to have something like that.... My opinion if you wnat a really fast car get a 240-280 and push a big motor in it!!! rockon.gifcheck out this thread call them and see what they can do for ya.

the swap starts a 10000 for a 240sx should be around the same for a 300z

Guest Anonymous

Hey RB26, is that oilpan issue due to clearance problems? I'll take a look at my oil pan and get back on that. About the bell housing of the VG being a different shape, are you suggesting that I take a take the bell housing from an rb gearbox from the gts? I think that's what you mean because the gtr gearbox is a 4wd piece and I read that because of that, it's useless... hmMmm I never thought about making my z32 a 4wd car but that would be cool if it's not too difficult and more expensive. I am not able to spend 10,000 on the swap for the engine itself but I wouldn't mind paying around 7000 for the job but 10,000 is not just 3000 more, it's also one whole digit more. I was hoping that by using the VG gearbox, I could save some money on not needing the gts gearbox. If I were to get the bell housing off from the gts gearbox, I think I might be better off just using the gts gearbox. :confused: Well as of now, I'm still full of some questions but I think we're getting somewhere. Thank you guys for helping so far.

Guest Anonymous

SHANE, that's goodnews I've been needing to hear. Thank you for whatever you might find and hopefully I'll have a future project to share with everybody.

2thumbs.gif

the strongest tranny you can run is the r33 GTS-T tranny. the r34 tranny is probably as strong but alot more expensive....

the sump on the rb26 is in the front and so is the diff (mounted to oil pan). if the VG oil sump is in the front all you have to do is cut off the diff housing and weld up the axle tubes and thats it... if its in the rear you will nee to fab a pan .... as for 4wd Z32 i think the engine would have to be way far forward to line up the axles to where the z32 front wheels need to be.... if you want to try that i would highly recommend getting a half cut GTR... that would have pretty much everything you need to go awd ... if that would work

Guest Anonymous

I'm sorry Stony, I think I'm a little lost. Can you tell me what the sump is and what it does? How come we are using the gtr engine but might need a gts oil pan if the z32 oil pan isn't similar. I guess my question is how come the gtr oil pan won't work? And the axles... I thought they go into the transmission? I've been reading up on alot of people fabricating their own oil pans and I don't know why.

Ps. Look guys, Stony's talking to me. hail.gif

Ok

sump is another name for oil pan... what im talking about is the deep part of the oil pan where the oil gets picked up and fed into the engine..... the gtr sump is in the front of the engine. My car originally had a rear sump meaning the oil was picked up from the rear of the engine.

if your car has a fwd type sump oil pan then your ok because its the same as the gtr oil pan...

ok the gtr is 4 WD and the diff if mounted on the bottem of the oil pan. the front wheel axles actully go thru the oil pan via tubes kinda like a tunnel. if you can use the gtr pan then you have to cut off the diff housing and have the tube holes welded up. its relatively easy. r34_naoki-img600x450-1015827003dscf0412.jpg

this is a gtr oil pan see the tube thru the middle thats where the axle goes thru....these pics will go away after about a week so if you want them save as to your computer they are from japan yahoo and when the auction ends they go away twak.gif

Guest Anonymous

OooOh wow... That was reslly helpful actually. I'm going to save the whole thing. This will make a good reference source when I post it on my site. Thanks again Stony!

As for the transmission question I had, whether the z32 gearbox will hook up to the rb26dett, I read something about the vl calais on a site. The guy bought his car with the rb swap half done. The gearbox that was in the car was a z32 with the bellhousing of a rb25det. I'm guessing that that's from the gts-t model. How hard is it to do something like that? To change the bellhousing of the gearbox?

about 8-12 bolts....If they are the same tranny.

do you have a place to get all this stuff yet, cause if you dont get ready for some big headaches. unless you know somebody in japan that knows what you need its going to be really hard to get all the stuff you need. Most of these importers in the states sell the entire tranny not just the bellhousing. for a lot less money you should consider a v-8 swap or even the GN v-6 like scotties. I would look at as many options as you can before buying an rb26 for your z32.

Guest Anonymous

Well, as of now I'm still planning. I'm trying to look at the many different options that are out there. Although I'm probably not gonna go with a domestic engine, other options that I looked at are to purchase a 73 240 or maybe even a newer 280. I like the idea of driving something with the same engine as the skyline gtr. I know it's gonna cost me alot of money to do but I'm not too tight on the budget. If it's gonna cost me more than I could afford now, I don't mind holding it off until later to be done. I'm sure it'll all be worth it in the end to drive such a machine as yours. When I am set on what I want, I will need your help to get my hands on the parts I'll need for the about the same prices you guys paid. I used to work at my uncle's mechanic shop fixing cars during the summers so I'll have access to tools and such. So far, I can say I learned a whole bunch about Z's just from asking you guys. I think it's a high possibility that I'll have me a Hybridz to drive sooner or later.

cuss.gif