HybridZ

Rota again

error234

Ok i've been doing alot of searching and researching.  So this is what i have come up with and the question i have 

my car 

83 280zx stock suspension 5.3l swapped will be daily driver

looking at the Rota RKRs 17x8.5.  I'm almost positive from what i've been reading these should fit without any issues or spacers needed. but they are offered in 3 different offsets.  +4, -10, -10/-20 staggered set up.  Whitehead performance says +4 would fit without any issues. the other say set up may require rolling fenders

most of the searched things i've found talk about the Z not the ZX.   also read one thread where it said the Rota rbr group buy wouldn't fit on the s130 (17x9 -13 offset).  which i only found one guy saying that and that is close to the offset i'm looking at.  so i've been getting alot of conflicting info. and just want to make sure before i buy.

So my question, +4 offset would mean i couldn't run as wide of a tire before rubbing on the inside *spring/strut/body* and they would "fit" inside the fender well a little better?  -10 would mean i could run wider tires and probably have to roll the fender to run those bigger tires correct? and i'm guessing the staggered set up just make it where rear tires can be bigger? if i'm totally off. someone please explain?  Hopefully you can help and thank you for your time. 

-10 offset and 245/45/17 all around is what i'm leaning towards. and like knowing i can go bigger tires/fender flares later down the line. *just for reference i don't mind rolling or cutting fenders*  

13 minutes ago, error234 said:

also read one thread where it said the Rota rbr group buy wouldn't fit on the s130 (17x9 -13 offset).  which i only found one guy saying that and that is close to the offset i'm looking at.  so i've been getting alot of conflicting info. and just want to make sure before i buy.

Huh? Lots of people ran the group buy wheels on the S130. It's not ideal, as the S130 can stand a bit more backspacing than the S30 stock for stock, but it works fine. You can't maximize the tire though, and need to stay 245 to be safe, but I've seen a few guys pushing 255 on the group buy wheels on the S130.

Also, I know rims are always sold in offset figures, but start posting and thinking in backspace measurements. That said, a 17x8.5 +4 is 4.9" of backspace, which should fit quite nicely. You might have some rubbing under full lock, but I'd have to bust out measurement tools be to sure. If you step up to a -10 on a 8.5" wheel that's going to push backspacing down to 4.4" of backspacing, which is LESS than the group buy wheels, which means while it should clear suspension with ease, you're going to be that much more limited on tire size before needing to roll the fender.

All this said, the S130 can fit HUGE tires without cutting/rolling if the fitment is right. 275 in the rear isn't unreasonable if done right.

FricFrac went with 9.5 all around, but felt 255 was too tight up front, and went with 235 instead for the front, but still on 9.5 up front.

Rota RB-R Fitment Side.jpg

Rota RB-R Fitment Rear Driver.jpg

Rota RB-R Fitment Front.jpg

The one person who mentions issues in the thread is slownrusty (yasin) who says they're tough to fit on a really low car. On a mild lowering you're likely find, but if you're dropping it a lot then fitment gets really tight.

All this is to say that a 8.5" should fit in either a +4 or -10, but I'd err towards the +4 since inward fitment on the S130 wasn't really the tight spot. But let me dig through when Christ and I tested them on my S130 and verify the suspension clearance.

Hmm, looking at the thread again, I think 8.5 @ +4 might be tough to fit up front on a S130. That 4.9" of backspace is going to get you extremely close to the strut tube up front. In the back, that much backspace would be fine, especially with more compact coil overs.

So if you're wanting 8.5" instead of 9" or 9.5" you might be better off with the -10, even though that's going to also need rolling if you're pushing a 245 wide tire onto it.

36 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Huh? Lots of people ran the group buy wheels on the S130. It's not ideal, as the S130 can stand a bit more backspacing than the S30 stock for stock, but it works fine. You can't maximize the tire though, and need to stay 245 to be safe, but I've seen a few guys pushing 255 on the group buy wheels on the S130.

Also, I know rims are always sold in offset figures, but start posting and thinking in backspace measurements. That said, a 17x8.5 +4 is 4.9" of backspace, which should fit quite nicely. You might have some rubbing under full lock, but I'd have to bust out measurement tools be to sure. If you step up to a -10 on a 8.5" wheel that's going to push backspacing down to 4.4" of backspacing, which is LESS than the group buy wheels, which means while it should clear suspension with ease, you're going to be that much more limited on tire size before needing to roll the fender.

All this said, the S130 can fit HUGE tires without cutting/rolling if the fitment is right. 275 in the rear isn't unreasonable if done right.

I hear what you are saying. i'm just going off what i found searching.  in bold Letters its says the 17x9 -13 offset will not fit s130.  thats where the confliciting info comes into play. and i just wanted to be sure before ordering anything.  It looks like with all these people chiming in, that i will be fine.  Thank you for all the replies!

38 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Hmm, looking at the thread again, I think 8.5 @ +4 might be tough to fit up front on a S130. That 4.9" of backspace is going to get you extremely close to the strut tube up front. In the back, that much backspace would be fine, especially with more compact coil overs.

So if you're wanting 8.5" instead of 9" or 9.5" you might be better off with the -10, even though that's going to also need rolling if you're pushing a 245 wide tire onto it.

i thought others where chiming in but just you. haha  Thank you for your time and replies!  now i know where i need to stay to be good.. Thanks again!