HybridZ

Tokico Illumina Strut Failure

Hi all, I have Tokico Illumina adjustable struts on my 77 280z. For a few months, I have been trying to figure out a mystery clunk in the rear of my car. Yesterday I finally found the problem. My right rear strut had failed and is clunking around in the strut tube. I know these struts are difficult if not impossible to find these days. The failed strut is pn BZ3013.

What are my options? Does anybody sell these new or used? Can they be repaired? 

Thank you.

I have some plain old Tokico non-adjustables that I could sell you.  I only have three though, one got damaged.  I've been looking for a fourth for a long time but it's not going to happen.  A pair might keep you going.  I think the damping rate is similar to the middle setting on your Illuminas.  

I'm in Washington County, by Portland.

7 minutes ago, NewZed said:

I have some plain old Tokico non-adjustables that I could sell you.  I only have three though, one got damaged.  I've been looking for a fourth for a long time but it's not going to happen.  A pair might keep you going.  I think the damping rate is similar to the middle setting on your Illuminas.  

I'm in Washington County, by Portland.

Thanks for the offer. You are definitely close.  If I can find a way to repair or replace a single strut, that would be ideal.  If I have to replace both I’ll probably just go with the Koni adjustables. 

15 hours ago, JMortensen said:

Is Tokico still in business? I thought they were, but they aren't offering these for Z's anymore. Might see if they can fix it. I remember a lifetime warranty when I bought mine in the 90s

It looks like Tokico is now owned by Hitachi. I will contact them regarding warranty replacement but I am not hopeful. 

http://www.hitachi-automotive.co.jp/en/products/shock/catalogue/

Just spoke to Hitachi Automotive Systems@ 1-800-548-2549. They bought Tokico.

To honor the lifetime warranty, they are giving me a full refund after I send the original receipt and struts in for inspection. Not ideal but I guess that will work.

Now the question is...do I go Koni or Bilstein? Hmmmm