HybridZ

5 speed shifter hitting series 1 console 240z

I have a early 71 240z with a 5 speed 280z transmission installed by the PO. The tunnel has been trimmed but the shifter still hits the console and pops out of gear when shifting to 1st, 3rd, and 5th it actually lifts up the console when shifting and has caused a small crack in the console. It has a rubber shift boot that could been contributing to the bind. Right now I have a 280z shifter in place as it has a bend in it, the 4 speed shifter is straight.

I have searched the forum and found a thread or 2 on this but never got a definite fix for the issue. The PO had cut what looked to be a 280z shifter and made a short shifter but I believe it still hit the console, I installed a factory 280z shifter 2 years ago and have yet to drive the car yet as it's still be restored but getting close to hitting the pavement in a few months.. Today I noticed this issue while sitting in the drivers seat "pretend shifting" ha!   I can see this being and issue when this car hits the road. I'm sure some of you have run into this issue, it seems pretty common to swap in a 5 speed. What are the fixes for this? Heat up the shift rod and try to bend it a certain way?

Thanks in advance 

20190324_191827.jpg

20190324_185734.jpg

Yes, a common problem when doing the 5-speed swap.  I've seen people cut/trim the console and/or swap shifters to address the issue.  People will even cut and weld a stock shifter to create their own custom dogleg shifter.  And keep in mind that the shifter can be modified both above AND BELOW the pivot point.

If you don't find a solution on HybridZ, I would check on ClassicZCars.com.  They are usually more inclined to retain the stock sheetmetal and appearance....particularly on early 240s.

https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/38196-shift-lever-hits-console-on-1973-240z-5-speed-swap/

Edited by jhm
added info

The PO already hacked the sheet metal in the tunnel and i'm not too big on hacking my series 1 console if I don't have to. Almost inclined to try heating and bending the shifter back at the base and then upwards but then i dont want to screw it up and make it worse.

So I heated and bent the shifter at the top and bottom of the pivot point as well as bent the top part of the shaft upwards more. It seems to be alot better, but I have a newer style 72-78 rubber shift boot on it's way as my car has the early style boot on it that is extremely stiff and bulky in the section that hits the console... I also justified spending $40 on a new boot because mine has 2 large rips in it. I'm hoping after I install the later style boot that the problem will be solved. I will follow up once I get everything thing installed and bolted up to see how it worked.

20190325_172140.jpg

20190325_175549.jpg

20190325_175743.jpg

Edited by 5 Star Rising
Wrong pic

3 hours ago, 5 Star Rising said:

So I heated and bent the shifter at the top and bottom of the pivot point as well as bent the top part of the shaft upwards more. It seems to be alot better, but I have a newer style 72-78 rubber shift boot on it's way as my car has the early style boot on it that is extremely stiff and bulky in the section that hits the console... I also justified spending $40 on a new boot because mine has 2 large rips in it. I'm hoping after I install the later style boot that the problem will be solved. I will follow up once I get everything thing installed and bolted up to see how it worked.

20190325_172140.jpg

20190325_175549.jpg

20190325_175743.jpg

Do you also have there rectangular retaining ring to hold the boot down?  It screws to the center hump and holds the later style boot in place.

Dennis

17 hours ago, 5 Star Rising said:

No I dont Dennis, I thought about using some fender washers and sheet metal screws. I wish I had a retaining ring.

For my '71, I had the local high school metal shop cut one out on their plasma cutter.  I gave them a pattern traced from the later style boot, including the screw holes.  A real life project for the students and no cost, or skill required, for me.  Win/Win!

Dennis

• Like 1

Funny you mention a plasma cutter I was just thinking about that like an hour ago, my buddy has one at his work and he's always making random designs out of metal with that thing. I'm going to ask him if he can make me one. But I'm waiting on the boot to arrive to trace it.. Unless there is a template online somewhere that has the measurements I could give him

Ok got everything together and it works great. Maybe this wasn't the best approach but I didn't have to cut the console. Seattle you are correct about the cup binding but the new angle works. I removed the plastic cup on the tip of the shifter and packed the pivot point area with marine grease. Everything shifts fine with out the plastic cup on the tip, it does not pop out of the grove. I also made my own rubber shift boot retaining ring out of a piece of 16 gauge sheet metal from Ace hardware for $7.. not the prettiest thing but it works and you dont see it as it's under the console. Again maybe not the best approach but it works and hope this post can help somebody else dealing with the same issue.... Happy days.. Issue solved..

20190329_183755.jpg

20190329_183810.jpg

20190330_151432.jpg

20190330_170903.jpg

20190330_184811.jpg

20190330_190659.jpg

20190325_175743.jpg