HybridZ

New Member Low Budget Rebuild Tips

wil84911

Hello. Newby here back in a 71Z Oct 2017 after 35 years lol. I’ve been driving it around. 

Current L26 (stock, triple Weber 40s) still kicking but I want about 60 or more hp. 

Picked up an L28 block/N47 head and was going with flat top pistons, cam, reuse the carbs. But found out crank and rods are bad. Seems someone played around with it (out of specs). 

So plan now is to hopefully still use the crank as core, go with the 3.0 Rebello kit. I will have to switch to Weber 45s, go with 9.5 lb flywheel. Don Potter copy of cam in possession. 

What do you think? Can I go another route to get back to low budget?

Appreciate any opinion. Thanks folks!

Attached pic of the 71Z, video of bad spare L28 internals (sorry foreign language). 

FF353BDA-156B-4045-82C1-A3F3E843FEF8.png

Edited by wil84911

Budget and rebello usually don't go hand in hand especially if you are planning on boring up there will be work that needs to go into it.

Low budget would be a stock rebuild, with another good donor block, for 60 more hp an L28ET seems to be a good choice with a bit of a boost up you should be in that ball park. Staying NA and trying to squeeze more out would be quite a bit more in the long run depending on where the rebello kit puts you.

10 hours ago, seattlejester said:

Budget and rebello usually don't go hand in hand especially if you are planning on boring up there will be work that needs to go into it.

Low budget would be a stock rebuild, with another good donor block, for 60 more hp an L28ET seems to be a good choice with a bit of a boost up you should be in that ball park. Staying NA and trying to squeeze more out would be quite a bit more in the long run depending on where the rebello kit puts you.

Thank you. Yes original plan was stock block, cast oversized pistons with my trusted friend doing the work but it has now turned into an expensive rebuild using the rebello kit. Sorry nothing against turbo but I’m just not a turbo guy.

So I guess my real question now is are there any tips I could benefit from going with the rebello kit? Example rebello suggested I upgrade to weber 45s. Is it necessary? I understand headwork is crucial. Any tips on that?

Clean Z!

Stick with stock for low budget.

If you love Rebello so much and they tell you to upgrade to 45s....why are you asking if it’s necessary? If you don’t want to upgrade to 45 than why ask? 

I suggest you look MORE into details why you want a rebello kit if you don’t know the “benefits” of the kit in the first place.

Find a $300 L6 motor drop it or just go with V8 if you don’t like turbo.

If your stuck with what you want, then go for it. I’ll sit back and enjoy watching the amount of money and time being spent. 

Edited by Zlived

On 4/11/2019 at 2:40 AM, seattlejester said:

Thank you. Yes original plan was stock block, cast oversized pistons with my trusted friend doing the work but it has now turned into an expensive rebuild using the rebello kit. Sorry nothing against turbo but I’m just not a turbo guy.

So I guess my real question now is are there any tips I could benefit from going with the rebello kit? Example rebello suggested I upgrade to weber 45s. Is it necessary? I understand headwork is crucial. Any tips on that?