HybridZ

Good price for a 1978 280Z?

Thioid

The owner is selling the car for $13K

The owner says he has:

1978 Datsun 280z
Sky Blue with Black interior
Original engine with approximately 160k miles. Runs extremely well.
Daily driver. No rust underneath, but it does have light surface rust
in the normal places.
AC works great

Also says he has added:

Replaced all belts and hoses, replaced tires, replaced the brakes,
flush the brake lines, replaced the fuel tank, replaced fuel lines.
Flush the fuel rail, replace fuel hoses, replaced fuel injectors,
replaced fuel pump, replaced spark plugs, replace spark plug wires,
replace distributor, replaced valve cover, replaced various vacuum
hoses, replaced radiator, replaced starter, replaced flywheel,
replaced headlights with new style.
Shortened the amount the bumpers stick out in front and rear.
Installed All new seals on doors and windows.
Installed headers and a factory muffler without the catalytic
converter. Installed a 5 speed transmission instead of the original 4
speed. Removed all interior and installed DynaMatt for sound
absorption, Replaced all interior Carpet, replaced visors and
headliner, replaced center consul, installed a full dash cap, Replaced
broken gages. Installed all led bulbs in gages as well as white faces
on gages.
Replaced seat foam, replaced seat covers with upgraded preferrated
leather, installed seat heaters.
Installed a smart stereo system with Bluetooth, microphone, DVD player, and backup camera.

Edited by Thioid

If the paint is still in good condition, it sounds like he replaced almost everything you'd want to replace. 

The only Z cars that are rust free have had a down to the frame full restoration, so never believe that any of these cars are rust free. But it MAY have very minimal rust. You'd have to see it in person.

The prices of Z cars have gone up drastically in the past 2-3 years, so 13k for a car that has been restored and is actually turn-key, ready to drive and enjoy seems pretty reasonable. It's possibly on the higher end, so the condition of everything, and all the interior "upgrades" better match what you think looks good too. They probably will to someone, but it may not be you.

Most people want the 240z for several reasons, it being the first S30 and semi-more iconic, and also avoiding all emissions regulations due to it being made before 1975...but depending on where you live, that might not be an issue at all. The 280z is a better car (in my opinion), and things like the bumper can be changed out to copy the slimmer profile of the 240z with the right parts.

without any pictures, it's a tough call though.

On 4/15/2019 at 7:38 PM, Thioid said:

The owner is selling the car for $13K

The owner says he has:

1978 Datsun 280z

replaced headlights with new style.

Shortened the amount the bumpers stick out in front and rear.

Installed headers and a factory muffler without the catalytic
converter.

Installed a 5 speed transmission instead of the original 4
speed.

replaced center consul,

installed a full dash cap,

Installed all led bulbs in gages as well as white faces
on gages.

replaced seat covers with upgraded preferrated
leather

installed seat heaters.

Installed a smart stereo system with Bluetooth, microphone, DVD player, and backup camera.

You probably want to see these mods.  It's not a "survivor" 78 280Z.  "Replaced" doesn't mean that he replaced with 280Z parts either.

The headlights and bumper mods will change the outside appearance.  The LED gauges and white faces will change the inside.  The headers and converter delete will make it louder and it might be droney.

People tend to overvalue their personal artistic interpretations.

if that's the kind of car you're looking for, then that's a pretty good version of that car.

You're not going to find a ton of "mostly stock" 280z's that are in that good of condition.

Personally, I'd yank those bumpers off because they're hideous and I'd get rid of the white gauge faces immediately.

BUT, different strokes for different folks.

1 hour ago, Neverdone said:

if that's the kind of car you're looking for, then that's a pretty good version of that car.

You're not going to find a ton of "mostly stock" 280z's that are in that good of condition.

Personally, I'd yank those bumpers off because they're hideous and I'd get rid of the white gauge faces immediately.

BUT, different strokes for different folks.

Thanks for the info!

It has significant rust on the cowl panel, you'll need a replacement, and the rear deck under the hatch.  That tells me you need to see under the car, floor pans, rockers, rear valance, battery tray and wheel wells.  If he won't send you good pics of those areas, walk away.  Lots of good 280z's out there.

22 hours ago, Neverdone said:

I disagree with having to replace the cowl panel, it just needs to be sanded down, have the rust treated which is causing the bubbling, and repainted. At least the one I have was in worse shape, and I brought it back.

That is not surface rust, that started underneath where the foam padding holds water, there will be a 6" dia. rust patch on the P/S and D/S, you'll be able to see daylight through those holes plus the rust on the vents are just above the the fresh air chimney, a spot known to hold debris and standing water.

The panel could be saved with work but the cowling is still a fairly inexpensive piece.