HybridZ

S130 periodic no start symptom

A_Z_bruhhh

So about 3 weeks ago I bought an 83 S130. When I got it the guy said that it ran about 6 months ago so we all know that maybe about 2 years ago it  Might have ran. Got  It home engine would  Crank, had spark. Did regular tune up.  When I went to change the distributor cap I saw that the Ignition coil wire had melted the center of the cap.  Changed plug wires, cap, rotor, ignition coil, plugs, alternator, all belts, about 1/2 the vacuum lines, fuel lines, fuel filter, air filter.

When I did fuel filter I ran most of the gas out and put a gallon or 2 back in (what I had at home). Tried to start it again. Nothing. Just turned over, didnt try to catch. Cleaned up some chewed on wiring as well from mice or squirrels.

Broke into more testing. Have 60-70psi on fuel when pump primes. Haven't tested while cranking. Checked spark to ground on 3 separate cylinders all were sparking. Replaced all the fuel injector connectors. Still nothing.

Finally I got fed up and pulled an injector and it squirted gas! I put some heet in the gas and added another 5gal. Started and ran. Rejoice. Took it up to the gas station and put another 5gal in. Got it home and went to bed because it was like 11.

Got up to work on it the next day and it wouldn't start. So now I assume theres still something going on in the gas tank. Pulled the dip tube/sending unit to check for rust in tank. Nothing. Drained as much as I could and filled it back up. It started! 

Next day, it wont start again. What in the ****.

What do I need to do.

Also, cold start valve is not squirting any gas when starting.

2 hours ago, A_Z_bruhhh said:

Broke into more testing. Have 60-70psi on fuel when pump primes. Haven't tested while cranking.

These early EFI systems need the basics to be right-on for everything else to work right.  Guessing won't work.  Get the 1980 EFI Book, or the 1983 Service Manual (FSM) and make things right.  Your fuel pressure is way too high, for starters.

image.thumb.png.a68df4d13230169914e6dbc6191361d6.png

I tested fuel pressure between pump and fuel filter, not between regulator and rail though, shouldn't it only be maintaining the 35 or w/e to the rail? If it couldn't be higher than 35 then you wouldn't be able to add performance high flow fuel pumps... just my reasoning though, I could be wrong.

4 hours ago, A_Z_bruhhh said:

I tested fuel pressure between pump and fuel filter, not between regulator and rail though, shouldn't it only be maintaining the 35 or w/e to the rail? If it couldn't be higher than 35 then you wouldn't be able to add performance high flow fuel pumps... just my reasoning though, I could be wrong.

It's 36.3.

You should check between filter and rail.  If you're getting 60-70 before the filter you might have a clogged filter.

But, in short, no offense...you're doing things wrong.  Stop the random stuff and get in to the FSM or the EFI Book and do things the recommended way.  You'll save time in the long run.

• Like 1

Well it all needed to be replaced, it was almost all original and it had been sitting in a field. Its gonna pretty much be a full restore. At first I just wanted to replace things that were bad. Filter is brand new as well. And I went through the component test in the fsm, came up with a bad thermotime switch, and my throttle position sensor was out of alignment, also only have 8.7v to my ignition coil... It still kinda feels like it is an intermittent ecu problem, but I'll go through again and see. What section should I start in?