HybridZ

BC Coilover Questions

Hello,

Some background info:

I currently have a stock 78 280z with 16x8 +0 offset rims on 225/50/r16 tires. I am in the process of replacing my worn suspension and steering bushings with new rubber bushings. I have no plans of tracking or autox this will mainly be a car for cruising. 

Question:

Is there anything that I will need to add to my suspension IE bump stops/aftermarket tc rods or can I just install the coilovers while keeping the rest of my suspension stock?

This will be my first time installing coilovers, any tips or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Rest of your suspension can stay stock. Keep rubber rubber bushings on the tc rods or replace them with aftermarket. Stock runs the risk of breaking with the stiffness of poly bushings. Otherwise most everything else can go to poly bushings without issues

5 hours ago, PatD said:

Question:

Is there anything that I will need to add to my suspension IE bump stops/aftermarket tc rods or can I just install the coilovers while keeping the rest of my suspension stock?

Most strut/insert manufacturers recommend bump stops.  Probably in the instructions of whatever you end up getting.

2 hours ago, NewZed said:

Most strut/insert manufacturers recommend bump stops.  Probably in the instructions of whatever you end up getting.

That is good to know. I will look out for that!

2 hours ago, seattlejester said:

You may need some camber adjustment at least in the rear. I had -4* with the included camber tops, I dialed it out to something like -2.5*, but if you want less than that you will need some arms to bring it in or more adjustment in a different camber top. 

When you say you dialed it out @seattlejester was that with the included camber tops? Or did you do some modifications?

The 3 bolt has 1.5 or so of adjustment if I remember. It ships with the adjustment knob centered in the hole which is max negative. I have adjustable arms, but my jig was made off of a factory arm so pretty close to stock. I pushed the camber plate to max positive which brought the -4 down to -2.5. The shop I took it to then dialed out some more with the adjustable arms. You could get by with either a 4 bolt top, or camber bushings if you want it closer to -1 or 0.

2 hours ago, seattlejester said:

The 3 bolt has 1.5 or so of adjustment if I remember. It ships with the adjustment knob centered in the hole which is max negative. I have adjustable arms, but my jig was made off of a factory arm so pretty close to stock. I pushed the camber plate to max positive which brought the -4 down to -2.5. The shop I took it to then dialed out some more with the adjustable arms. You could get by with either a 4 bolt top, or camber bushings if you want it closer to -1 or 0.

@seattlejester awesome thank you for all the information. I’m going to start looking at some different camber tops. The camber bushings seem pretty simple and straight forward as well.