HybridZ

mechanical AND electric fuel pump

The carter fuel pump is so obnoxiously loud.  I think the ZZ4 has a spot for a mechanical pump, was thinking of installing both, switching the electric to use as a primer if needed but leaving it off otherwise. Research says this is doable.  Might be a lot of needless work and risk just to shut up the stupid pump.  I'm pretty sure a standard mechanical pump at 7psi should supply the juice just fine, could be wrong.

Something like this https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-m4685/overview/year/1967/make/chevrolet

If the mechanical failed and you resorted to electric and pumped your gas tank into your crankcase, that would be bad.

In my limited experience when mechanical pumps fail they spray oil all over the engine compartment. Electric pump doesn't put heat in the fuel like mech pump does, if that matters. Had issues with vapor lock on the L6 way back when. I fixed by eliminating the stock mech pump and fuel rail. Not sure if SBC has that problem very often.

It seems many hot rodders run both and have the electric as a manual swtich to prime the system for faster starts (carbs, fill the bowls and flush out air from vapor locking) and add more fuel if needed for high load runs.  Electric can push through the mechanical and mechanical can draw through the electric (if the "right" type electric).  I like the concept but probably won't pursue it unless needed.