HybridZ

Anyone have a workaround for the Switching Module?

I'm looking for a replacement relay labeled "combination switch" on the wiring schematic (http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/wiringdiagrams/75_280z_wiring.pdf), bottom right side of the diagram.  It's part number 25230N4300, which was replaced with part B523089985 both of which are discontinued.  I even had the local Nissan service center search the country for any leftover stock of either one and nothing.  Has anyone figured out what to use in its place or some other type of wiring workaround?

The backstory is that my blinkers stopped working, the driving lights and headlights still work and so do the hazards so I know the bulbs are still good and that they do indeed flash with the hazards.  I've replaced the blinker relay and even switched it with the working hazard relay and they still don't work.  Using an ohm-meter I traced the wiring back to the combination switch where the readings don't make sense, something in the switch must be burned out.  I mean it's a 44 year old switch so it's probable.  What's weird is the same switch controls the hazards too but those still work.  Ideas anyone?

The part number you gave is for a relay inhibitor switch.

You sure it is part of the light circuit?

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts/nissan-relay-inhib-sw~b5230-89985.html

The right half of your schematic is missing.  Here is the complete schematic which shows the combination switch (lights, wiper, washer and turn signal).  The combination switch is located on the steering column:

75diagram.gif

Edited by Miles

Sorry, I grabbed the wrong name, it's the "Switching Module (For CA Only)" and the light circuit runs through it, the Floor Temp Relay, and the nearby Checker.

And btw, the wiring diagram you linked is the exact same one in my original post.  Not sure what you mean by it's missing the right half, the only difference is my link is a PDF and yours is a GIF.

Look Miles, I appreciate you trying to help but you're really going nowhere fast here.  You're only giving me information I didn't ask for or already have.  I'm not even sure why you linked the service manual without any context.  

I've read your post a couple of times, and still not sure what you're looking for.  If you're seeking an original replacement relay, maybe post on the "Parts wanted" sub-forum?  Lots of guys keep a stock of old electrical components.

Also, I didn't see where you specified what year and model your car is.  The electrical systems varied widely from year to year in these cars.

Finally, your post discusses the "combination switch" and "turn signal switch", but it turns out that you're really asking about a specific relay 'under the seat'.  (Which seat, BTW?). Maybe that's why Miles posted the full FSM.

Already tried parts wanted in other places, one guy has it and he wants $300 for it so that's a no. Yes I called out the wrong switch the first time I'm sorry, it was right next to the correct one on the diagram and I mixed them up.  I never did mention looking for the turn signal switch,  I only mentioned it works fine and that was in the follow up post and not the OP.  There's only one seat with a 6-pin switching relay underneath it and I'm pretty sure when I originally linked the 75 280z wiring diagram (which it says in the link itself) makes it pretty obvious the model and year.  I could spell it out 100 times but if you don't read it you still wont know the answer.

Call it whatever you want, the official wiring diagram calls it a switch and I'm not here to argue semantics but you guys really seem stuck on that for some absurd reason. I provided the part number and a photo, I can't be more specific than that and I could care less about finding an OEM replacement as much as I care about getting the system to function properly again, I'm open to any alternate parts or workarounds anyone else has done.

Semantics is a big deal on this forum. It is one way that separates us from other forums. Making sure an item is called the correct name that people recognize will go a long way.

If you want I can edit the title of your post which directly asks for a workaround to the combo switch. Semantically it seems to be called a multi-function relay.

The relays themselves seem to last quite a while, I'm still using several stock ones in my 71 that was in use till 2010. I would suspect as miles pointed out it may be the switch contacts on the stalk going out. The hazard lights switch has its own set of wiring so it may be acting as a red herring if you are using that as the reasoning in your train of thought.

I suggest taking a breath, people are here to help of their own accord, it may be frustrating to seemingly answer the same question or when someone is caught on a seemingly unrelated point, but realize we need clarity to try and help. It may serve to help their train of thought, and it may seem tedious, but given the free help, maybe try being accommodating? It may serve better to have a post where you clarify exactly what you are looking for that you or others can refer to someone asking a question in the post.

I can't answer as I've only looked at the early Z wiring in detail, but it seems odd for the blinker wiring to go through the floor so I can identify with others as to the confusion. I'm finding a note that the part number was used for a fuel pump relay, might be something else to check. I do know the pins are a standard spade connector so you could wire in a modern relay if you can pin out the contacts and make little adapter lengths, I've done that for some older plugs before. Identify power, ground, switch ground, switch power, and output. Then you can use any modern automotive relay.

• Like 2

• himself changed the title to Anyone have a workaround for the Switching Module?

Thank you for the suggestion Jester.  Yes these modules last decades, mine almost made it 45 years, 21 of them with me.  I'll look into a similar fuel relay part and see if it will work as a replacement and if not maybe I can trace and pin out the contacts to replace with a modern relay.  Otherwise I may just strip it down and rewire the turn signals on a direct circuit and bypass this module entirely.  It doesn't help that this part is uncommon due to it being CA specific.

I really have no idea how I could be more specific than I've already been. I've given a part number, a photo, the model and year of the car, and the specific name of the part in the official wiring diagram along with the wiring diagram for reference.  I asked for a solution to replace or go around it and no one except you Jester have given an answer relating to this specific module.  Granted Miles did provide a solution to a combination switch due to my error which I quickly corrected, however no one since has been even slightly helpful regarding this part.

We will have to agree to disagree on semantics, I don't know why everyone is so hung up on calling this part by something it's not labeled as but whatever, I really don't care what you call it.  I used the names listed in the service manual's wiring diagram (even if I made a mistake and wrote the wrong name the first time, it was still correct, just a different part) and I've revised the title to reflect the switching module as recommended.  These forums used to be much more practical and helpful and less grammar nazi-ish when I was a part of it 10+ years ago.  I don't know what happened to this place but it used to be the best resource for obscure and difficult zcar solutions, I'm disappointed to see that it has devolved into a place of inconsequential arguments about who is more right. 

Thanks for taking things in stride. The title change I'm sure helps.

The point on semantics is pretty clear, if you search combo switch as per the previous title, it brings up hundreds of links to the headlight combo switch, and a few on the blinker/high beam combo switch which are a very common problem. Switching relay module or mult-function relay per the part number brings up much fewer, but more specified posts, using the part number you get very very specific, but few posts.

If someone else in the future is looking for the same CA specific relay switching module for the blinkers or turn signals it should now pop up and you will potentially be their savior pending the solution. Don't worry you aren't alone, when I announced I had ordered pipe for my tubular control arms, people were quick to correct me or to make sure I was using the right material. In my mind I know I meant tube, DOM A513 to be specific, but coming from fluids and flow I was thinking pipe, slip of the fingers and now I had to sit and try to convince people I wasn't trying to build structural components from used rusty drainage pipe. 

I think it is clear now that you are looking for the CA specific switching relay module/multi function relay, or a work around for that. In the early cars the lack of relays did send a lot of amperage through not so great connections, so I would suggest maintaining a relay point rather than a direct wire unless you are using low amperage items like LED turn signals. Pin it out and swap to a modern relay using male spade connectors to a 4 or 5 post 12v automotive relay. 

I have to say this forum was such a place, at least 9 years ago when I joined. My first posts I was dinged for grammar/capitalization. However, that is part of the character of this forum. You get a specified knowledge base that is immense, in return you may have to do a once over on your post and try and use the common term. So I will say don't throw the whole forum or forums in general under the bus. Keep in mind we could not be here if it wasn't for the generosity of donations and the hard work of those on the network end. We almost saw closure a couple years ago and then you would be relegated to searching through facebook posts.

We are more oriented around engine swaps, suspension tech, and such. Looking for stock replacement parts, you may have an easier time on classiczcar as they are excellent at finding and maintaining the stock Z platform and will most likely have found a more bolt in/plug in solution if you are not familiar with pinning out relay wiring. You might try datsun parts and needs as there are a lot of Californian members, ratsun as well who may be able to find you a used replacement part. 

• Like 1

Thanks Jester.  I did an '82 L28 turbo swap almost 2 decades ago and overhauled the electrical system with a megasquirt upgrade with a LC-1 wideband, electronic spark distribution, and 4x4 disc brake upgrade many years back and these forums were invaluable for the information to make those work at the time so it was rather frustrating to provide the part number, wiring diagram, name of the part, and a photo of a simple module yet somehow no one knew what I was talking about in a forum dedicated to this car model.  

Thanks for the contact Miles, one of my local parts guy's, Randy, found a working module from a '77 and the blinkers are working again.

13 minutes ago, himself said:

Thanks Jester.  I did an '82 L28 turbo swap almost 2 decades ago and overhauled the electrical system with a megasquirt upgrade with a LC-1 wideband, electronic spark distribution, and 4x4 disc brake upgrade many years back and these forums were invaluable for the information to make those work at the time so it was rather frustrating to provide the part number, wiring diagram, name of the part, and a photo of a simple module yet somehow no one knew what I was talking about in a forum dedicated to this car model.  

Thanks for the contact Miles, one of my local parts guy's, Randy, found a working module from a '77 and the blinkers are working again.

Would that be Randy of Citrus Heights?

Interesting, we could probably swap setup notes, I too have LC-1 and a megasquirt with individual coil packs, although on a 2jz. Ever do anything with the brakes? The 4x4 "upgrade" feels a bit light at times. Like you can definitely slow down or stop, but it can be quite the effort. 

Glad you found your solution. I guess understand that the traffic is a bit lower than the past, and some people have moved on in life (RIP) or in pursuits. Help those who remain or check in by making things organized and such even if it is tedious. Sometimes it is hard to grasp who the person asking is or what they have figured out. 

8 hours ago, Miles said:

Would that be Randy of Citrus Heights?

Yes it is.

3 hours ago, seattlejester said:

Interesting, we could probably swap setup notes, I too have LC-1 and a megasquirt with individual coil packs, although on a 2jz. Ever do anything with the brakes? The 4x4 "upgrade" feels a bit light at times. Like you can definitely slow down or stop, but it can be quite the effort. 

Mine don't feel light at all, they're just right and the car stops quick. They're the dual piston version from a 1999 Toyota Tacoma.  Straight bolt on, no modifications necessary.

I just upgraded to the LC-2 with a digital hardwired AFR gauge and I'm running a Ford Taurus electronic coil.  Having an issue with negative voltage though I haven't been able to nail down yet. The gauge reads the proper AFR but megasquirt is now seeing the values in reverse for some reason.