HybridZ

First post and introduction

I thought I should share a photo and say hello before asking a question. Just bought this bone stock (except the 1981 wheels) 1979 ZX with 56,000 miles and never seen rain...for real! Not my first Z, previousled owned a 1981 about 30 years ago. I know tires and wheels are beat to death on these Z car sites, but I am going to ask anyway as I have searched most of this site and have not seen the exact answer I have been looking for.

Question is: What wheel and tire combo will best fill the wheel wells with that "tuner look" of a low (or lower) profile tire that is flush with the body ...I want that more rim, less tire sidewall look  without having to roll the fenders and also allow the dust caps to fit. I also may lower 1 -2 inchs and replace suspension with coil overs but not for some time so I want something that fits today...and in the future. I would love to see more photos of wheel/tire set ups...and sorry for stirring up the old wheel question. I also included a photo I recently saw on a GTI

I see most people recommend 16x7 with 0 offset, but I question if 17 inch rims work if you go with a lower profile sidewall?

IMG_2139.JPG

IMG_4113.jpg

That is a nice looking Z! I personally really like the snow flakes especially in the 80's color scheme with the gold accents on the wheels. 

17's are on the bigger side, you can get them in the same wheel height the sidewalls do get a bit on the thin side and depending on the rim style it can be a lot for the car. 

The wheels on the GTI are reminiscent of BBS wheels. I'm not sure of the exact model, maybe the BBS CH-R? 

17s will fit and look great on a ZX. The most common and possibly only 17in setup for Zs are the Rota RB/RKRs. No spacers or fender rolling needed. You could go with:

Wider than stock but not crazy.

https://whiteheadperformance.com/product/rota-rkr-15x8-wheel-kit-4x114-3-0mm-offset-datsun-240z-260z-280z-280zx-510/

Really wide and aggressive

https://whiteheadperformance.com/product/rota-rkr-17x8-5-10-front-17x9-5-20-rear-staggered-wheel-kit-4x114-3-datsun-240z-260z-280z-280zx-510/

Google image search some ZXs with these rims to see what they look like.