HybridZ

Longnose r200 with MMS CV adaptors + rear sway bar

theBrit

Hi All

A long time back I used Modern Motorsports adaptors & 5 lug hubs to connect via CV joint half shafts ( I think 280zx turbo ?) to a R200 with quaife LSD, it works beautifully!  :)

However I want to put a rear sway bar on and the car, it is lowered a lot so even though my 73 comes with stock tack welded mounts for a sway bar, I belive I need a rear mounted one to clear the A arms.  Armed with that knowledge I bought the ST sway bar that fits behind the diff and a TechnoToy replacement for the  hanger with ears that are pre drilled to mount it.

Imagine my reaction as I find that what I assumed would be a simple bolt in mod,  was going to be not that simple, the ST rear bar fouls the boot at the wheel end, I need to solve the  half shaft problem another way, I do love the CV joint set up :(

I have a stock LT1 + T56 from 1995 so it is just under 300 hp I think.  I am wondering if I just revert to normal 280z?  half shafts, the problem is that I have been out of this for a long time and I am no longer sure what I have todo to revert this :) although it has been nice just to use the car and not think.

I have the 4 bolt flange that has the big nut  to the stub axle from the original car still, I can get 280z half shafts online I think, is that the only part I need ?

Perhaps as I see the community is well served with aftermarket  parts these days, there is something better ?

I took some poor photos of the current set up if that helps, and some guidance would help as I start cutting and pasting information from the web to resolve the the half shaft problem,  oh and perhaps there will be a very nice half shaft based solution for sale, assuming you dont want a sway bar :)

PS. yes it is filthy under there and again it is in need of paint but it does get used round town in the summer.

IMG_20190512_151805_1.thumb.jpg.f101c1b8d728a149c9cba3b5381323f2.jpgIMG_20190512_155211.thumb.jpg.f64e14668a03ffa4fd4453774072677b.jpg

IMG_20190512_155339.jpg

Edited by theBrit
details

To answer your first question....yes, the stock half-shafts are actually quite stout and often used in applications with similar hp numbers as yours.  And half-shafts are very readily available used from any of the Z car forums and FB pages....no need to buy new, unless you just want new parts.

Converting back to half-shafts from your current CVs might be a bit tricky.  You will need the correct side axle (also sometimes called stub axle, but I believe side axle is the more correct nomenclature) to clip into the Quaife LSD that you could bolt the half-shafts to.  If the Quaife internals are the same as the original R200 (spine count and diameter), you should be good to go.  If not, I honestly don't know if there's anything commercially available for that.  One of the more common LSD swaps uses a Subaru LSD diff, and there are a couple vendors that produce conversion stub axles to mate the OEM half-shafts with the Subaru LSD internals.

Have you tried playing with different length sway bar end links?  You can easily swap the middle spacer to shorten or lengthen the overall end link.  (Sounds like yours might need to be shorter than they currently are.)  Sometimes that's all that's needed to give sufficient clearance between the sway bar and the axles.

EDITED:  Forgot to mention that the half-shafts will typically have more driveline vibration and noise than the CV axles; which you may find undesirable or even unacceptable. 

Edited by jhm

6 hours ago, theBrit said:

However I want to put a rear sway bar on and the car, it is lowered a lot so even though my 73 comes with stock tack welded mounts for a sway bar, I belive I need a rear mounted one to clear the A arms.  Armed with that knowledge I bought the ST sway bar that fits behind the diff and a TechnoToy replacement for the  hanger with ears that are pre drilled to mount it.

No real idea on the parts, just the writing and logic.  Maybe confirm that the old setup won't work before getting carried away?  Unless you really really just want to use the ST bar and T3 parts.

4 hours ago, jhm said:

Converting back to half-shafts from your current CVs might be a bit tricky.  You will need the correct side axle (also sometimes called stub axle, but I believe side axle is the more correct nomenclature) to clip into the Quaife LSD that you could bolt the half-shafts to. 

I think that he would need a new companion flange also.  The companion flange is where his 3x2 bolt pattern is for the CV axles.  He needs a stock companion flange.  So, he'll have to remove the wheel side axles and replace the companion flange, with all that that entails.

A lot of work for a sway bar.