HybridZ

Looking for CF dashboard and center console

WailordUseBodySlam

Hello there!
I am looking for a Carbon fiber dash and center console.
I want the dash to be dry if possible, considering the glare of a wet CF dash would be bad and would want the center console to match it, if I get a CF console that is. I saw RetroSpec has one, but I didn't know if is any good:
https://retrospec-datsun.blogspot.com/2017/07/retro-spec-240z-composite-dashboard.html
 Does anyone have any experience with it?  Also, it is only for a 240z, does anyone know what it would take to put it in a 280z? 

Secondly, I don't really, want a CF center console, but the stock one will not do either! I saw that Skillard has a center console, and like how simple it is:

https://skillard.com/products/280z-aluminum-center-console

Has anyone had any experience with it? Also, its cup holder area is terrible and think something like this could easily be mounted up and work multiple times better since I do plan on taking long drives in this car:

https://imgur.com/R4q9IyB

If you have any other ideas or recommendations please let me know, Thanks!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've had very good luck with Skillard and his aluminum products and such. Anytime I've ordered they arrive on time or as predicted. Now for CF I have ordered a center console from Retrospect and from there web site the product appears of good quality, but I can't say for sure because of the item never arriving. I ordered a CF console from them in early December of last year and never saw it. I would email them inquiring about status, after the initial 6 week lead time they need to make the item. Over 3 months go by and it seems eveytime I asked about the status I would receive excuses of the item is shipping out this week, or the machine that makes it is undergoing repair, or they will be shipping it in the next day asap. It's was always an excuse it seems. So about the later part of April I emailed asking for a refund. At Least the positive part of this transaction was that I did receive my refund quickly with in a week. So not sure who else makes cf center console and even hoods for that matter. Maybe it was just a bad time to order then and maybe it's better and Retrospect turn around time is better. 

• 6 months later...
46 minutes ago, joshuanagao said:

Carbon Signal makes them but be prepared to pay for the quality. Mine is composite because I wanted it covered with alcantara. But you can do wet or dry carbon.  IMG_3468.jpeg.b2983553db0379634c7d4606c4eb6293.jpeg

Hey, yeah I saw their stuff.  I haven't really seen any numbers price wise, but, from what I have seen, it does look quality.  Would you give me a ballpark of how much your's was? Also is that some sort of display in the center? That looks like a sick setup.

11 minutes ago, WailordUseBodySlam said:

Hey, yeah I saw their stuff.  I haven't really seen any numbers price wise, but, from what I have seen, it does look quality.  Would you give me a ballpark of how much your's was? Also is that some sort of display in the center? That looks like a sick setup.

I removed the climate controls in the center and replaced it with a single din opening  and 3 gauge setup below.  The headunit is a Alpine Halo 9.  I'm  so used to CarPlay that I can't  live without it.  The dash in FRP covered in Alcantar and leather was 1250.   The center piece that deletes the  climate controls in bare carbon was $400 or so.  Total was $2k shipped from UAE.

2 hours ago, joshuanagao said:

I removed the climate controls in the center and replaced it with a single din opening  and 3 gauge setup below.  The headunit is a Alpine Halo 9.  I'm  so used to CarPlay that I can't  live without it.  The dash in FRP covered in Alcantar and leather was 1250.   The center piece that deletes the  climate controls in bare carbon was $400 or so.  Total was $2k shipped from UAE.

How would you say the quality is? Does it seem like a good buy? Also what seats are those? They look interesting.

18 hours ago, WailordUseBodySlam said:

How would you say the quality is? Does it seem like a good buy? Also what seats are those? They look interesting.

Quality is good but for the price I would expect to have less fitting to do.  It’s beautiful though.  The seats are Braum racing seats.  

0EE0F789-24FD-4540-9309-852BB7923EB6.jpeg

93D93481-EFD3-4F92-BBA5-C9ADC62EDF4A.jpeg

On 4/21/2020 at 10:51 PM, joshuanagao said:

Quality is good but for the price I would expect to have less fitting to do.  It’s beautiful though.  The seats are Braum racing seats.  imageproxy.php?img=&key=b38ce984421b0e4e

What kind of issues are you having?  I was looking at them in British Tan for my 240z

On 4/21/2020 at 10:51 PM, joshuanagao said:

On 4/22/2020 at 8:49 AM, EF Ian said:

Joshuangao - Your project looks great, love the dash and the seats, seats remind me of Audi RS4 seats.

You should post some photos of your build in a thread.

I'll start a thread one of these days.  Info on it is  1970 240z.  Arizona car with very little rust. RB26 from R33 swap. OS Giken clutch. Probably a CD009 transmission and  R200 w LSD) combination of ApexEngineered and TechnoToyTuning for suspension.   Full Moonbeam kit. Seibon CF Hood.  Speedhut Speedo and Tach. Defi gauges for the rest. Alpine Halo 9. I'm into 3D printing so i'm designing a bunch of parts that button things up nicely. 

On 4/27/2020 at 11:35 AM, goob_os101 said:

What kind of issues are you having?  I was looking at them in British Tan for my 240z

Really trying to figure out how to make the glovebox work.  the dash kit comes with a door,  but  no hinges or way to attach. Won't work with stock hinge without heavy modification. I'm in the process of trying  to make everything fit, still work and integrate it all  with the skilled dash upgrade. Not easy. lots of cutting.

On 4/28/2020 at 9:34 PM, joshuanagao said:

Really trying to figure out how to make the glovebox work.  the dash kit comes with a door,  but  no hinges or way to attach. Won't work with stock hinge without heavy modification. I'm in the process of trying  to make everything fit, still work and integrate it all  with the skilled dash upgrade. Not easy. lots of cutting.

So does the dash from Carbon Signal have a mount for the singel din unit?

On 5/2/2020 at 3:36 PM, WailordUseBodySlam said:

So does the dash from Carbon Signal have a mount for the singel din unit?

No.  They typically sell the CF center piece with the original cutouts for the original climate control and radio switches, etc.  I  had them make a custom single din cutout as high up as possible with the constricting width.  I had to make all my own mounting bracketry to fit the deck into the dash. 

• 9 months later...

On 5/4/2020 at 5:34 AM, joshuanagao said:

No.  They typically sell the CF center piece with the original cutouts for the original climate control and radio switches, etc.  I  had them make a custom single din cutout as high up as possible with the constricting width.  I had to make all my own mounting bracketry to fit the deck into the dash. 

How much was the centre console out of interest?