HybridZ

AJ16 4.0 Single Turbo

I'm building a 77 s30, these cars came with an inline 6 so I'd like to stay true to that. I've been researching unique inline 6's that are easily obtainable in Southeastern USA, and I happened to stumble across a 57,500mile AJ16 4.0 from a mid 90s Jaguar for $220. 

I'm a pretty decent welder. The placement of the the motor looks like it would be great for a big single, assuming I'd find a way to lower the compression ratio. There's a company that still sells reman Tremac 5 speed trans for the AJ16.

Does this sound like it's worth it? Money and time aren't really an issue, but I'd like to see progress. I'd rather not go RB or JZ, and my 78 currently has an L-series. Thanks for reading.

I recently had the opportunity to put a L-series head gasket on top of a AJ16 engine. That AJ16 is huge!

make sure it will all fit before committing to a project like this.  I friend of mine put a supercharged 4.0 AJ16 into a old Landrover Defender. I made the wiring loom and megasquirt unit for him. Placing a AJ16 into my S30 also crossed my mind. :)

14 minutes ago, Xander said:

I recently had the opportunity to put a L-series head gasket on top of a AJ16 engine. That AJ16 is huge!

make sure it will all fit before committing to a project like this.  I friend of mine put a supercharged 4.0 AJ16 into a old Landrover Defender. I made the wiring loom and megasquirt unit for him. Placing a AJ16 into my S30 also crossed my mind. :)

Ah yes I thought as much, I'll have to measure up the dimensions before going full send on the project. It's such a great looking motor though, reminds me of the S-series Nissan motor. There's not a whole lot of aftermarket support but a megasquirt, turbo related bolt ons, injectors, and some fan work, I think I should be able to pull a decent amount of power out of it.