HybridZ

Datsun Competition Steering Wheel - Skyline "R" logo

xPhDxTheDoctor

I am really hoping someone could shed some light on this logo. I have been searching for hours on end trying to figure out where it is from. I haven't seen that "R" used on any Nissan/Datsun vehicles. It looks really unique but has no concrete history that I could find. Some reports claim it to have been factory equipped on early C10 Hakosuka Skylines. Or that it was on Skylines that were sold under the Datsun name and not the Nissan one. Or a Datsun Compe steering wheel that was very commonly swapped onto C10 Skylines in the 70's. I've even seen it referred to as a Nissan/Prince logo. I don't know where the logo originated. Or if it was truly a Skyline logo, why it is an "R" and not the stand "S" logo. And the style of the "R" doesn't match any of the R's used in the branding of early GTRs. It is a logo that I cannot match to anything and have only found it on the center caps of Datsun competition steering wheels. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

large503155.jpg

It helps if you have it the right way up....

It's the combination Nissan/Prince emblem, introduced after the 1966 merger. It's a monogram with stylised letter 'N' and letter 'P' combined to form a cypher. It was derived from the old single letter 'P' Prince logo, and intended to pay respect to the history of the Prince marque when it came under the wing of the Nissan group.

Here it is on the front of the Nissan R382 sports racer. This is the correct orientation:240585276_R382atGinza-11-badgecloseup.jpg.2819898fd839974a0eb0340b4ea74cb6.jpg

Edited by HS30-H
  • Thanks 1