HybridZ

'74 Datsun 260Z restomod: "Project 38"

Just an intro to my project. 

I came across a 1974 Datsun 260z 2+2 and couldn't resist. My 260z 2+2 is the early version which I like. 

The car needs some as they all do I expect. I am also a little concerned about parts availability for a 2+2 but basically I am pretty excited to have the car. 

While a basket case Porsche 911 (air cooled) remains my holy grail auto project, the Datsun Z has long been a favourite of mine. 

The body is pretty solid and what isn't solid can be replaced (left front fender, hood, lower valance/air dam, upper hood cowl). There are some pin holes on the lower doors. I don't know if the doors for the 2+2 are longer than standard coupe doors. I can either fill the pin holes, or fab repair panels. The rear has a few issues around the lower hatch area of the quarter panels. I will have to fab/weld those spots. 

The good news (I think) is that the previous owner did a lot of work under the car. The chassis is in great shape with a fresh coat of POR-15. The gas tank etc, cleaned, sealed and covered in POR-15. 

The car runs and has a swap to SU carbs. That is good. It also seems to run well and is strong. 

Tranny is 4 speed but this will defo be swapped out for a 5 speed and I have already sourced one. 

Interior is removed but in good shape other than the driver's seat which could use a refinish. I think I will just refinish all the seats in something a little nicer than the vinyl that was original. 

My goal is to have runner/driver in a year or so. That is ambitious given my work schedule but perhaps doable if I can manage to divert some funds into the project. 

I would love to go crazy and pick up as much carbon fibre exterior parts as I can (hood, hood cowl, front and back thin bumpers, air dam/valance, and fender flares) but that is a very pricey road forward. I may just go for the fibreglass parts. 

Lots of pics to follow. 

All help and input will be greatly appreciated!