HybridZ

Oil type, Amsoil question

Before I get flamed for another oil question......

Lots a reading on the subject of oil and the L28 engine and as many opinions as there are (fill in the blank).  I'm a big fan of Amsoil, I had a 2001 VW Jetta that I sold still running with 475K miles on it.  So I decided to check out what Amsoil suggested for the L28ET. If you select the make, model, engine etc they suggest "Signature Series 10W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil". 

Now for some background info, I have an 82 L28ET that I've just gotten back from the machine shop, full rebuild, David Vizard did the head work and the engine was actually assembled by Scott McLaren a former crew chief for Paul Newman. He got very specific on the oil needing a high zinc content because of the flat-tappet camshaft which the "Signature Series" Amsoil does NOT have.

So I did a search on the Amsoil site for "zinc" and found "AMSOIL Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil, specially engineered for classic and high-performance vehicles. A high-zinc formulation to prevent wear on flat-tappet camshafts and other critical engine components, along with a proprietary blend of rust and corrosion inhibitors for added protection during long-term storage." 

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/gasoline/z-rod-10w-30-synthetic-motor-oil/?code=ZRTQT-EA

So the question is, AFTER a normal break-in with non synthetic,  anyone have an opinion on modern oils with zinc?  I think it' sounds like just what the Dr ordered but I'd hate to goof up a fresh overhaul.

Anyone tried Amsoil Z-Rod? 

Edited by D9inger

I'm not sure I'm an experienced enough engine builder to comment more on this, but that logic doesn't really make sense to me. The oil has the same thickness, and should allow/prevent wear at the same rate.

Afaik, synthetic oils claim the same friction and viscosity specs as their conventional counterparts, which should result in the same film thickness and protection, without the tendency to break down like conventional oils.

If you're really curious, you could always call amsoil and ask what they think. I'm pretty confident they'll say it doesn't make a difference.

I use Amsoil 20w50 Z rod in my older BMW engines and it seems to be great, I broke in a rebuilt engine with their straight 30w break in oil which is not synthetic. A lot of engine builders recommend dinosaur 30w for break in because you actually want the new rings and cylinder walls to wear in together.

Amsoil makes a 10w40 synthetic Z rod that would be perfect for our L24 - L28 engines.