HybridZ

New owner, fuel issue diag

Dom 280z

I am looking go find suggestions on diag for a fuel issue with my 1977 280z. It's as if all 6 injectors are clogged (though highly unlikely). I have fuel pressure at the rail but I was thinking that the BCM could be the most viable answer (not commanding the injectors to fire) I have spark at every cylinder new pump and filters.21505.thumb.jpeg.3fbf84d04985253be3c3ba92625d3411.jpeg Seasoned S30 mechanics any suggestions?? I don't have a lot of diag experience and appreciate any input (except the negative BS).

It would be useful to post up the year of the car and whether it is stock or not.  Assuming it's stock, there are significant differences between late and early 280z models and each have common problems. Also, tell us about the current situation so we can help diagnose....

Did you verify that the injectors are not getting 12v while cranking? Was it running previously and just suddenly stop?  Has the car been sitting for a long time?  

Have you done an in depth search of this site.  The best way I have found to do it is to use your friend Google:  "stock injectors not firing site:hybridz.org"  In a Google search follow your search terms with "site:hybridz.org" and it will focus on this site.

Edited by rossman

3 minutes ago, rossman said:

It would be useful to post up the year of the car and whether it is stock or not.  Assuming it's stock, there are significant differences between late and early 280z models and each have common problems. Also, tell us about the current situation so we can help diagnose....

Did you verify that the injectors are not getting 12v while cranking? Was it running previously and just suddenly stop?  Has the car been sitting for a long time?  

Have you done an in-depth search of this site.  The best way I have found to do it is to use your friend Google:  "stock injectors not firing site:hybridz.org"  In a Google search follow your search terms with "site:hybridz.org" and it will focus on this site.

@rossman

1977 280z. Stock l28 other than cold air, and header. 

The car was previously running strong, drove It for 5 hours down south. It sat because registration expired, did fire up and drive but after a recent move would not stay started. Sprayed started fluid into the manifold and if stayed running until it dried out. The fuel rail does have fuel but I'm believing it is a fuel delivery issue, car does have new pump and new filters. I do not have a voltmeter to see if the injectors are getting 12v, though the car was running strong before. I have looked on the forum, I guess I'm not as good as you guys when it comes to "google". I did see the beginners tab and looked there and will test. Really looking for similarities and suggestions, I appreciate it.

Edited by Dom 280z
Forgot some info

If started the car seems to not be getting fluid. Started but instantly dies out, using starter fluid will keep it running so I know the engine itself is good. Have you heard of ECM's going out and causing the injectors not to fire? Could the timing play a factor... I just feel it is maybe injectors because when I give the car gas and crank the fuel rail rubber hoses begin to expand (full of fuel).

Edited by Dom 280z

The injectors won't open unless the ignition coil pulse on Pin 1 is there at the ECU.  Don't assume that the injectors are bad or some other assumption.  Might just be the EFI fusible link.

You can't do much on these EFI systems without a meter, except guess.  The ECU's do fail, but that's an expensive guess.

classiczcars.com has free downloadable service manuals with all of the diagnostic procedures.