HybridZ

L28ET swap

I know there are lots of these threads, but most are pretty old. Maybe someone might be interested.

I have a 78 280Z, I found a 82 ZXT on craigslist and bought it. My goal here is to make a drivable stock looking 280Z with some a$$

I have no illusions of out running a modern Camaro or Mustang, but I'd like to make them earn it. 

so here we go

s-l500.jpg.e44f154f904dcca9dfbb58b9a5830c40.jpg

As bought almost two years ago.

1 hour ago, Jboogsthethug said:

Dang look at that! It looks very clean! I really like your cam cover, subtle and stylish! The choice of just black and silver overall looks really good!

Thank you.

The machine shop had it for 10 months so I'm getting pretty excited to move forward.

It has come a long way

IMG_8152.jpg

Z001.JPG

Edited by D9inger

9 hours ago, Jboogsthethug said:

I'd say so, like night and day! 10 months is dang long, why did it take so long?

He had some medical issues, his main assembler had a hernia operation right in the middle of it, the pistons had to be custom made, it was a long wait but it's right. 

I got the 78 L28E pulled today. 

8A03B00E-1C3B-43F9-B5B3-83F3B40B09FB.jpeg

Edited by D9inger

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got my throttle body back. The original spring broke after bending it multiple times trying to make it fit and I didn't really like the way it was attaching to the 240 TB per the instructions I found at http://www.graytechsoftware.com/garage/tbs_linkage.asp  I ended it adding a secondary spring from the 1982 turbo throttle body.    

IMG_8239.jpg

IMG_8240.jpg

IMG_8242.jpg

IMG_8244.jpg

IMG_8245.jpg

1 hour ago, Michael said:

Seriously?  THE David Vizard?  He's still alive?

Yes, but when I went to pick it up my engine builder (Terry Walters, Roanoke, VA) told me he was in the hospital in Charlotte. I'm not sure why or how he's doing but yes, the David Vizard did it. I had never heard of him, so when my builder told me he was willing to do it I googled him. I knew right away I'd be crazy not to. He oversized the valves, custom ground the cam, flowed the head, etc., I'm pretty excited to drive it.  

18 hours ago, D9inger said:

Yes, but when I went to pick it up my engine builder (Terry Walters, Roanoke, VA) told me he was in the hospital in Charlotte. I'm not sure why or how he's doing but yes, the David Vizard did it. I had never heard of him, so when my builder told me he was willing to do it I googled him. I knew right away I'd be crazy not to. He oversized the valves, custom ground the cam, flowed the head, etc., I'm pretty excited to drive it.  

hey d9inger, you have more pictures to share of the p&p? intake, exhaust? thanks.

5 hours ago, scartail said:

hey d9inger, you have more pictures to share of the p&p? intake, exhaust? thanks.

I'll look, I don't know if I'd call it a polish but my idea of polish might be different than David Vizards'.

It's smooth but not "polished". 

3 hours ago, D9inger said:

I'll look, I don't know if I'd call it a polish but my idea of polish might be different than David Vizards'.

It's smooth but not "polished". 

He wrote the book, so I think most will defer to his interpretation. :)  I'm curious to see the contouring and transition he has done/directed. Any pix will be nice.

I found a few, I should have taken some more pictures before I installed the manifolds. 

CD29A9E2-C60A-452E-AC86-FAB3831060E4.jpeg

A847ECE2-0775-4A9E-8283-5B397AFB5472.jpeg

B0A4E69C-E259-4C4A-B036-467D8E2ED127.jpeg

I'm going with the stock turbo for now, it's an easy R&R even after installation. I've read the stock turbo will do for up to 12psi, anyway that's an easy swap later. 

Edited by D9inger