HybridZ

L28ET swap

54 minutes ago, scartail said:

thanks D9inger!!! that is one bueatiful engine.

I hope that shows you what you wanted. It's still on an engine stand in my overcrowded garage and it's 90+ degrees outside down here in NC so it'll probably be the fall before I'm willing to go outside and do the install.  I've become a puss to the heat, so I could remove the manifolds and take some more pictures. I'm not a big fan of NC in July and August. It's just plain miserable outside.  

Edited by D9inger

I'm pretty sure I'm going with SDS over Megasquirt, I actually already have the MS system from about a year ago. I found out about SDS from a guy I bought my intercooler from. SDS is an aviation based company that also supports the street types like myself. It's expensive, .... I'll let you all know

Edited by D9inger

• 3 weeks later...

That's Beautiful!!

I'm considering doing the swap on my '78 manual 280Z.

I Found a running stock donor '82 ZXT automatic for $2200 with 148K miles.

I figured this would be a good starting point.

I have a few questions......

In your opinion is that price a good starting point for me? The exterior is pretty rough on the donor I don't anticipate about getting much out of it when I'm finished.

Other than the required parts for the turbo swap, are there other desirable parts on the 82' like brakes or anything that may be considered an "upgrade" that are readily bolted on?

What type of money should I be budgeting for the restoration of the engine and other components that the swap may benefit from like an inter-cooler? How necessary are additional upgrades?

Thanks for documenting the process it is inspiring!

Aaron

On 7/26/2019 at 1:27 PM, A-A-Ron said:

That's Beautiful!!

I'm considering doing the swap on my '78 manual 280Z.

I Found a running stock donor '82 ZXT automatic for $2200 with 148K miles.

I figured this would be a good starting point.

I have a few questions......

In your opinion is that price a good starting point for me? The exterior is pretty rough on the donor I don't anticipate about getting much out of it when I'm finished.

Other than the required parts for the turbo swap, are there other desirable parts on the 82' like brakes or anything that may be considered an "upgrade" that are readily bolted on?

What type of money should I be budgeting for the restoration of the engine and other components that the swap may benefit from like an inter-cooler? How necessary are additional upgrades?

Thanks for documenting the process it is inspiring!

Aaron

I'd be a bad person to answer these questions but I think an auto '82 for $2200 is steep.  I spent $1k on my donor '82 5 speed and after reading some I think I paid too much. BUT I will say the '82 head is preferred over the '83 hydraulic so I've read. 

Mine wasn't running and I had it totally rebuilt. I've got $9K in the rebuild but it wasn't to OEM. I had forged pistons and rods added along with just about anything else you could think of. Overkill? I'm sure. 

I have the I/C fitted, I still need to work out the electric cooling fans and then comes the fuel management. 

0D632E7D-518E-4C14-8497-82C0FEEE15E1.jpeg

Edited by D9inger
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think I remember the ECU being different for manual and auto transmissions,.... I have a manual ECU that I won't be using. 

The 83 head is different though, from what I've read it has hydraulic lifters and it not as desired as an 82.

I can't give the reasons why.... Just random reading. 

Dave

• Thanks 1

On 8/15/2019 at 4:20 PM, D9inger said:

The 83 head is different though, from what I've read it has hydraulic lifters and it not as desired as an 82.

I can't give the reasons why.... Just random reading. 

If I recall correctly, the reason it's not as desirable is because the lifters are NLA. They can be converted to solid, but I'm not sure about any of the details of the process.