HybridZ

Bumper bolt/stud mounting issue...

Many years ago when I first bought my Z, I never pulled the front bumper to do some things I wanted to. There was a reason for which I was reminded this week. One of the four studs was (already) loose and spinning when I tried to loosen the nut. So, this week, I had to take a Dremel cutting wheel and cut through the nut on both sides until it fell off, then removed the bumper. The other nuts were tough, but came off ok.

It looks like these where welded to the back of a bracket and then that bracket it welded inside the bumper. Is this correct? No way to access/replace bolt without having someone detach that bracket? 

In other news, while the bumper will never look new, I polished them up today. They had a lot of little pitted rust, but polish and 0000 steel wool really got them looking pretty good.

Edited by thumper300zx
Missed word.

What year and model?  Bumper mounting configurations varied quite a bit from year to year.  A picture of the specific area you're grappling with will help as well.

But the quick answer is yes, the bumpers often incorporated threaded studs as part of the mounting; and yes, those studs very often are rusted and/or broken.    

On 6/10/2019 at 8:37 AM, jhm said:

What year and model?  Bumper mounting configurations varied quite a bit from year to year.  A picture of the specific area you're grappling with will help as well.

But the quick answer is yes, the bumpers often incorporated threaded studs as part of the mounting; and yes, those studs very often are rusted and/or broken.    

Geez. I'm scatterbrained this week...I couldn't even remember I asked about this already. 240z 1971 I believe 6/71 or 7/71. 

Looks like this is spot welded to inside of bumper and no access to bolt without removing...

IMG_20190613_194716~2.jpg

Edited by thumper300zx