HybridZ

Has anyone done an Acura V6 J Series Swap?

Meechum

Good Evening, I have a 73' 240z that i plan on swapping in an Acura V6 Jseries motor in. 
I come from a Honda background and have always been intrigued with the motor. They come in 3.2, 3.5, and 3.7 Litre platforms in many "economy" vehicles from Honda and Acura.
Anyways, Has anyone ever swapped one into theirs? 
I did the measurements and the motor will sit right behind the front strut towers. I plan to mate it to a CD009 trans and S550 Ford 8.8 (3.15 FD) IRS differential. Before any flak, I want to point out i bought the car as a rolling shell with pretty much nothing in it except the old r180 Diff. Rust in all the normal places, including the floor.

Ah that's neat. It's funny they talked about the Jswap s2k and Miatas. about 2 years ago I was in the process of my J Miata project (only had electrical left) but ended up getting rid of it to make room for my Z. It sucks he never showed pictures and hasnt replied in 2 years. 

jswap 2.jpg

jswap.jpg

Sounds like a badass swap to me. My understanding is 325 whp is pretty easy to do NA. If you start thinking that isn't enough power, turbo it and make ridiculous power. BeastieHatch has a J swapped Civic and it's putting down 600 to the front wheels (now has electric motors on the rears too).
https://www.turnology.com/features/beastie-hatchback-the-v6-turbo-powered-civic-to-end-all-civics/

You gonna be using something like this https://www.holley.com/products/drivetrain/bellhousings/bellhousings/honda/parts/RM-4096

Or, does someone make an adapter for the CD009 to the J series? 

As soon as you get the transmission sorted, I wouldn't see how this would be any more or less difficult then most of the other ridiculous swaps we come up with.

43 minutes ago, JMortensen said:

Sounds like a badass swap to me. My understanding is 325 whp is pretty easy to do NA. If you start thinking that isn't enough power, turbo it and make ridiculous power. BeastieHatch has a J swapped Civic and it's putting down 600 to the front wheels (now has electric motors on the rears too).
https://www.turnology.com/features/beastie-hatchback-the-v6-turbo-powered-civic-to-end-all-civics/

Looks like Cody Loveland likes Datsuns too. 

2 hours ago, JMortensen said:

If you know who Aaron O' Neal from English Racing, he is with his high horsepower Teal civic, Turbo Jswap 1/2 Mile drag car, him and i talk all the time. He occasionally comes down to Vegas to tune the evos and have a few beers. 

1 hour ago, Neverdone said:

You gonna be using something like this https://www.holley.com/products/drivetrain/bellhousings/bellhousings/honda/parts/RM-4096

Or, does someone make an adapter for the CD009 to the J series? 

As soon as you get the transmission sorted, I wouldn't see how this would be any more or less difficult then most of the other ridiculous swaps we come up with.

Not quite. I've been talking with Bill Hincher for quite some time. He's been designing an adapter plate that seats the starter on the transmission side since there isn't really any place on the engine side besides under the oil pan, which i absolutely will not do. 

Here are some pictures of what i've been up to. I'm also designing my own dry sump setup along with a RWD config rear sump oil pan. The flange is 1/2" thick with all the mounting holes spot on. The kick out bracket is conceptual for a mechanical oil pump.

I've mated a BMW ZF 5 speed trans to my current adapter plate. It uses a Honda B Series Flywheel and Clutch setup with a custom ACT clutch disc i contracted to have made. 
I've put that project on hold and just want to use the CD009 trans since I plan on turbo'ing the car.

Pic of datsun is the day I got it. It's now somewhat torn down and i've built a chassis table so i can tube frame the car.

jswap 2.jpg

Jswap starter.jpg

jswap.jpg

datsun 240.jpg

dry sump.png

Sorry for the clutter, here are some more pictures of what i've been up to. 

Cardboard designed 5 qt rear sump oil pan for the Jmiata guys.

I had an acrylic template made to show proof of design of my flange that the mounting holes fit for the dry sump or wet sump oil pans i'll be making.

And 2 pics of the chassis table and my poor welding skills.

cardboard.jpg

flange.jpg

table.jpg

weld.jpg

2 hours ago, Meechum said:

Ah that's neat. It's funny they talked about the Jswap s2k and Miatas. about 2 years ago I was in the process of my J Miata project (only had electrical left) but ended up getting rid of it to make room for my Z. It sucks he never showed pictures and hasnt replied in 2 years. 

Chris has replied pretty promptly to me in the past, despite not posting here much anymore. Try sending him a PM. 

19 minutes ago, calZ said:

Chris has replied pretty promptly to me in the past, despite not posting here much anymore. Try sending him a PM. 

I'll send him a PM, thanks.

I'd like to see how his is mounted