HybridZ

Snapped head bolt

Rusted head bolt snapped. That thing looks welded onto the block, its probably just rust accumulating and hardened. What do?

Taking the block out to a machine shop is going to be a last resort. I'm currently soaking it in pb blaster to see if I can loosen it up. Any suggestions on the best way to get this thing out?

15619297146285748097420598158410.thumb.jpg.3daa5d4c772cdc745acc52b4a020ebe3.jpg

Edited by smsms

Well you don't have much to work with there so you really only have one shot at it, scrape away the rust on the block by the stud, can you get your hands on a oxy/acetlane torch set up? That would be the best but in a pinch MAP gas, the yellow bottle may work.  You want to get that area really hot and cool it down with PB Blaster or WD40 then reheat it again. Repeat that 5-6 times then get a nut with the proper thread and screw it on snug, Mig weld the top of the stud to the nut and reheat the block around the bolt then un screw it.

IMG_0950.JPG

Damn this is going to be much more of a pain than I thought it would be. I got the majority of the rust off using a center punch and scraping the rest with a razor. I kinda damaged the thread on the bolt by trying to turn it with a vise and my stud extractor, so the welded nut might be out of the question, I also dont want to risk welding the block surface since I have no experience welding anything. I might just have to pull the block out if nothing else works. Thanks for the help!

I had the same situation.

Drill a hole all the way through the broken bolt. You should be able to tell when you're all the way through. Doesn't have to be a big hole. Then fill the hole with penetrating oil. Leave it for a day to penetrate from the bottom up. Heat it up with map gas on a regular old propane torch. When it's hot cool it with more penetrating oil. It should come out with some non-slip channel locks or vice grips.