HybridZ

Steering Rack and Pinion

Ah, sorry I misunderstood.  Can't say that I've seen a source for just the pinion gear, other than a used one from another rack.

FYI -- if you want slightly quicker steering, you can source a pinion gear from a 240Z rack....the 240 has slightly quicker steering ration.

Steering rack parts have been NLA for many years. 

So called  "rebuilt steering racks" also need those same NLA parts.

Always ask the dealer if the rebuilt/new  rack actually has new parts in it.

If you search HybridZ you will see this topic was beat to death years ago.

If you find the parts you need post the supplier here for us.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2019 at 7:50 AM, jhm said:

Ah, sorry I misunderstood.  Can't say that I've seen a source for just the pinion gear, other than a used one from another rack.

FYI -- if you want slightly quicker steering, you can source a pinion gear from a 240Z rack....the 240 has slightly quicker steering ration.

No problem at all! I didn’t know this.. thanks for the info! Do any other modifications need to be made with the 240 pinion? I would think I would need the 240 bearings at least.

On 7/4/2019 at 6:12 PM, Miles said:

Steering rack parts have been NLA for many years. 

So called  "rebuilt steering racks" also need those same NLA parts.

Always ask the dealer if the rebuilt/new  rack actually has new parts in it.

If you search HybridZ you will see this topic was beat to death years ago.

If you find the parts you need post the supplier here for us.

Thank you for the reply. I will definitely post up if I find anything. 

On 7/4/2019 at 7:50 PM, Nv_s30 said:

I actually got a rack from a dealer on ebay and it works perfectly.

crossmember4_resized.JPG

crossmember_resized.JPG

crossmember6 (2)_resized.JPG

Love your set up! I see you went with all Apex Engineered components. I did pretty much the same but kept the stock control arms which I media blasted and powder coated. I had my rack serviced but all my internals were good. Are you planning to use Apex steering knuckles as well? I'm very happy I did. Love the steering feel now. I have an electric Z power steering unit which was previously dialed almost all the way to max assist until I changed my components. I have the dial turned only half way now and it feels much more like a modern sports car.

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 3:11 PM, dmoralesbello said:

Love your set up! I see you went with all Apex Engineered components. I did pretty much the same but kept the stock control arms which I media blasted and powder coated. I had my rack serviced but all my internals were good. Are you planning to use Apex steering knuckles as well? I'm very happy I did. Love the steering feel now. I have an electric Z power steering unit which was previously dialed almost all the way to max assist until I changed my components. I have the dial turned only half way now and it feels much more like a modern sports car.

I have the whole Apex set up on my Z I was going to sale the rears and go with the track attack but decided I don't need all of that.... for now lol